• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WEll I be darned.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I didn't think my "......" could do that.

Many have recently got new birds whether babies or rescues or pet shop or breeder. The training methods out there are positive ones. Clicker training is just one..,

I have included a video but not of a bird! A mule...they can be stubborn and you can't go and towel them to get them to do what you want. We talk about baby steps and patience...If you think steps are small break the steps down even more!

Enjoy the video. This is also a prey animal, is a rescue and has fears. Many of the same principles will work with your bird taking into account a birds nature.

An Abused Mule Responds to Clicker Training - YouTube

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wonderful job done. :)

Something quite important with clicker training (I think anyway), that she showed plenty of, is patience.. while the mule was stubborn, she was going at his/her pace and not rushing it, and the mule responded well for that.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Here is one more training video. Some training done with very young animals is one where an animal offers a behavior and gets rewarded. Once they consistantly do that a command is added. Along with this a hand signal is added.

What I would like you to notice is how QUICKLY this dog catches on when given consistent direction. We sometimes TALK TOO MUCH. Keep it simple, one word and praise. Imagine the rapid speed our feathered friends are learning!

Are you now enjoying training. Take a look at Vicki's sticky and learn more. She took time to help many of us improve the quality of time we have with our animals and make us think. Consistency does matter...we just have to figure it out. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/user/eHowPets?v=aIdKdba_Wmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.