• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Chotu's Giardia Test from The Bird Safe Store Came Back Negative

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I sent it September 20th with a self addressed envelope and they got the results back on the 23rd but never mailed them to me. :mad:

I was waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and finally I called today.

I am going to make an appointment with Dr. Harris to take him back over this Saturday for another look see.

Ginger

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Cant they give them to you over the phone since they goofed and didnt mail them ? I hope you find out what is going on with him

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
They faxed the results right away. They came back negative for giardia.

Ginger

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ginger, I must have missed it, who do you think has giardia? Giardia is very hard to test for and you usually have to run multiple testes because it may not always show up in the poop. I would also think that if one bird had it, all your birds would. Most likely source is generally water.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Chotu is my little Lovie I got in January from an AA member who moved back to India. He's started out plucking his behind and is now working on his upper and lower right wing. He was tested for everything in Febuary to the tune of $450 bucks, with nothing showing up. So I thought I would do the giardia test again from The Bird Safe Store where you collect 3 fresh poo samples over 3 days and send it off to the lab. Those results came back negative too.

I have been emailing Dr. Harris and he said that the only giardia test he trusts is the one done by the University of Miami. He thinks that it's probably a fungal/bacterial infection of some kind. He thought it would be a good idea to Chotu back for another look see but doesn't hold out much hope of figuring out what it is.

Ginger

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Poor little guy. I hope you find some answers. Plucking can be so tough...

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
My little dog was just diagnosed with Giardia yesterday, they put her on an antibiotic. Can the birds get it from her ??

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My little dog was just diagnosed with Giardia yesterday, they put her on an antibiotic. Can the birds get it from her ??
Depends on where your dog got it from. It's usually transmitted through fecal material and water. If you have it in your water, then yes, your birds can get it if they are drinking the water. Otherwise, no, you should be fine.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I think she got it from standing water outside. I went out today and found some puddles that didn't look good. We've had so much rain in the past month puddles everywhere. I cleaned them all up.

Ginger Glad to hear you have negative results !!!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
And it's not a peanut allergy. I eliminated those from his diet for about 3 months now.

Ginger

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
my doggies got giardia a year ago and i freaked and had everyone tested for it, includinig the fabies. one thing that I found out doing my own research is that you need to do at least 3 giardia tests in timed intervals.

the test may come back negative but that doesn't necessary mean they dont have it, it means the sample didnt contain any, which happens all the time. I don't remember if it was 3 tests, 2-3 weeks of time between them.

We did this to my doggies and Angelo came back negative in one test he was actually suppose to be positive on.

only bad thing, especially in giardia tests for birds, that can get pretty expensive.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I don't know if the peanuts could cause it or not. I was told from contaminated water. I have to go back in 4 weeks to get tested again for the dog.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Do you feed her/him pellets? Could be some grain in the pellet he is allergic to. Can try a mostly fresh diet, sprouted seed and fresh veggies?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I started feeding the peanut free Grenobles II pellets.

Ginger

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Did you have her tested for a fungus? When Teagan my grey was sick they tested everything and she was plucking a lot. It was a fungus, they put her on meds and is so much better. She stopped plucking also:hug8::hug8:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Good luck. I hope Dr. Harris finds some answers for you. I have taken Parker to him several times and after tons of $$$$$$ spent, nothing. Everything comes back negative. Frustrating.:confused:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Where is Parker plucking?

Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The girl who was a mod way back in never never land....I cannot remember her name, gosh.{unpoquito} She treated one of her birds for it even though the test came back neg, and it helped.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Hope a conclusive answer is found for you and Chotu:(

Status
Not open for further replies.