• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

well.. advice?

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
i May have a bare eyed too fall into my lap in the next couple of months, and i figured why not ask what i can do to prepare?

he was found on the street years ago, he screams and bites. i do not think he plucks. he has selected one person as his mate and will attack everyone else. i appreciate any feedback (as long as it’s constructive!) thank you.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is there anyway you can spend some time with him before he comes? That's the only thing I can think of you can do to prepare other than get a cage ready. Typically, with cockatoos you go through a bit of a honeymoon period when you first bring them home. My goffin was very calm and quiet. He would stay on top of his cage and just hang out. Then, he became a little Tasmanian devil. LOL. I think it's important during the honeymoon period to establish trust and set boundaries. Also, at least for my 'too, having a set routine has cut back on the screaming considerably.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That sounds like a challenging situation.
Is there anyway you can spend some time with him before he comes? That's the only thing I can think of you can do to prepare other than get a cage ready.
That would be what I'd suggest...you want to get to know as much as you possibly can about him before he comes home...that way you can be more prepared for his arrival.

I'd think there will be others who respond here...and when he does arrive to your home, we'll be here to help you in any way we can...that's a promise...;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well thank you for being a lap to fall into. Biggest question first. How willing are you to dedicate a portion of your everyday life to this bird? Probably for the rest of your life. It’s a big challenge.

Once this chosen mate is out of the picture, things will change because they have to. He will choose again.

Give this a read. Lots of insight into this behaviour.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
We prepared with lots of reading, watching videos on handling birds, etc. Plus collecting toys and such.
Good luck, they're worth all the hard work!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sounds like a challenging bird. I guess the bigger question is does he have the traits you need him to have in order for him to be successful in your home (a keeper)? I find some people take on a rescue because they want to change the bird and if they can't, they rehome it quickly. Other people take on a rescue bird with a degree of acceptance that the goal is to get a good relationship out of it but still accept it if they can't. The latter is really the way to go. If he is a one person bird, screams and biting in your home is that a problem for you? Some rescue birds you can fix. Some you can improve slightly but still have to deal with a difficult bird for the long term. If these behaviors are well established, its going to take some time to get rid of them.
Being a one person bird might not be super fixable. Others in the house can work on having a hands off relationship with him by doing some hands off target training and trick training. But he may always be unpredictable. Screaming is hard to get rid of. I'm hit or miss with that one myself. Biting and aggression don't really phase me much if I'm taking in a rehome. The goal is to make the bird happy. If he wants to bite, I'm fine with being hands off. You might not be. Some people want so badly to have a cuddle buddy that they quickly loose the compassion when their hands get sore and scabby from the bites.
Also, just as an aside, if you decide to get the bird, don't let him roam around on the floor. That leads to so many hard to fix problems and habits.

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Is there anyway you can spend some time with him before he comes? That's the only thing I can think of you can do to prepare other than get a cage ready. Typically, with cockatoos you go through a bit of a honeymoon period when you first bring them home

well... it’s complicated. i asked if i could come over to see him but no response yet. he will be coming with a cage, which i don’t remember being to small? I’ve only met him once briefly a few years back.

That sounds like a challenging situation.

That would be what I'd suggest...you want to get to know as much as you possibly can about him before he comes home...that way you can be more prepared

im trying my best! i don’t know much about BE2s but I figure they can’t be much different from goffins.

Well thank you for being a lap to fall into. Biggest question first. How willing are you to dedicate a portion of your everyday life to this bird? Probably for the rest of your life. It’s a big challenge.

Once this chosen mate is out of the picture, things will change because they have to. He will choose again.

Give this a read. Lots of insight into this behaviour.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

im currently doing online schooling, and i understand i may be temporary if the bird becomes overly stressed. BUT i am willing to be patient and not push him. when he screams, I’ll put in earplugs. That kind of stuff. Again, I live in a house, so wall to wall isn’t an issue. If we don’t work, we don’t work, and I can find him a loving home. Yeah, the main reason I’m not immediately put off by the biting is the fact that the root is jealousy.

We prepared with lots of reading, watching videos on handling birds, etc. Plus collecting toys and such.
Good luck, they're worth all the hard work!

all of this isn’t for sure, but posting here has made me more confident that I’m up for the challenge!

He sounds like a challenging bird. I guess the bigger question is does he have the traits you need him to have in order for him to be successful in your home (a keeper)? I find some people take on a rescue because they want to change the bird and if they can't, they rehome it quickly. Other people take on a rescue bird with a degree of acceptance that the goal is to get a good relationship out of it but still accept it if they can't. The latter is really the way to go. If he is a one person bird, screams and biting in your home is that a problem for you? Some rescue birds you can fix. Some you can improve slightly but still have to deal with a difficult bird for the long term. If these behaviors are well established, its going to take some time to get rid of them.
Being a one person bird might not be super fixable. Others in the house can work on having a hands off relationship with him by doing some hands off target training and trick training. But he may always be unpredictable. Screaming is hard to get rid of. I'm hit or miss with that one myself. Biting and aggression don't really phase me much if I'm taking in a rehome. The goal is to make the bird happy. If he wants to bite, I'm fine with being hands off. You might not be. Some people want so badly to have a cuddle buddy that they quickly loose the compassion when their hands get sore and scabby from the bites.
Also, just as an aside, if you decide to get the bird, don't let him roam around on the floor. That leads to so many hard to fix problems and habits.

Oh for sure, no floor cockatoo! I already have my little guys for cuddling, I really just want this dude to have a second chance. I handle my sun conures screaming fairly well, and I know a cockatoo is... well, a cockatoo! But still, at least her screaming doesn’t bug me haha.

THANK you guys so much... I’ll post a photo of him a few minutes. Please private message me if you can give more advice, and I’ll explain his situation more (don’t want to post owners info online out of respect).

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
I hope it goes well for you. I have a young bare eyed female and she is so sweet. I love the noises she makes. She is fairly quiet. She will probably change once she reaches maturity but right now she is my perfect match.