• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Welcoming Psyche

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Long message ahead -

I went to the pet store 3 weeks ago for some mealworms and such. I happened to walk past this little girl. She was all alone in her cage and just looked lost and defeated. So scared. I remembered seeing a bird of the same colour, alone, about 5 months ago. I spoke to the one assistant and this girl's story goes as follows
She was a breeder bird and her mate died. So the breeder dumped her at the pet store. She had been there for several months. She's no more than 2 years old. And she only has 3 and a half toes on her one foot.
I left but couldn't get her off my mind. I sent her picture to my partner and he was in love (she happens to be his favourite colour combo)... So after a lot of back and forth, discussions about logistics we eventually came to a decision: if I got off work and the store was still open, I'll rescue her. The roads were clear, all the robots green. Managed to get there with 2 minutes to spare.
And that is how we now have 2 lovebirds and a sparrow! She is currently in a temporary cage (an old travel one) in quarantine. Will upgrade when she moves into the bird room.
We've named her Psyche, after Eros' wife in Greek mythology. Also matches the degrees partner and I are studying hehe.
Does anyone know her mutation? Reading up on it the closest I've come to is orange headed opaline latino?

IMG_20200806_142125.jpg IMG_20200807_110632.jpg IMG_20200808_152919.jpg IMG_20200814_111403.jpg IMG_20200814_135009_002.jpg IMG_20200814_194028.jpg IMG_20200818_101257.jpg
She is as sweet as pie and tries to eat her weight every hour. She loves our seed and pellet mix - transitioned to the pellets so easily, doesn't even dunk them into her water like Eros does because he prefers them softer. Next step is veggies and some fruit.
She flock calls Eros constantly and he loves chatting to her from the other room. Even Loki joins in!
She came out her cage for a bit for the first time after a week and it was rather successful although she wouldn't come too close to us (as expected) and getting her back in her cage took an age (also, as expected). The next day was much better, with her popping in and out as she pleases. Her half a toe does cause her a bit of trouble but she carries on. She also flies terribly - struggles at liftoff, can't go very quickly (thank goodness) and is definitely off balance. Don't think she ever had the space to fly before... Held her a fair few times to get her back into her cage and she didn't even try bite, it is almost concerning because Eros is very beaky even though he doesn't try hurt you. She's learnt though that it is a lot less stressful to put herself back which we appreciate Psyche also loves to sit on the TV while the partner plays his games, definitely a daddy's girl at this point!
Can't wait for quarantine to be over so we can get her in a proper spaced cage instead of the travel ones!
All in all, so far so good!

PS
This was a gift from @SandraK for a Secret Santa a while back. I absolutely adore this pillow. My partner (a fan of gaming and Pokémon) saw the pillow the other day while Psyche was out and suddenly shouted "GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!" So I guess we're on our way to a fully bird brained home
FB_IMG_1598205649824.jpg

Last edited:

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Pretty birdie. I haven't seen an orange opaline lutino peach face(roseicollis). Here is my friend's bird which is the red version.
Awww look at them! So precious!
I wonder if she'll go redder after her molt and a proper diet? She has a lot of pin feathers at the moment

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Awww look at them! So precious!
I wonder if she'll go redder after her molt and a proper diet? She has a lot of pin feathers at the moment
I am pretty sure yours will stay orange. Opaline lutino peach faced lovebirds come in red and orange. Those two don't live together. The other one is mines.

Last edited:

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I am pretty sure yours will stay orange. Opaline lutino peach faced lovebirds come in red and orange. Those two don't live together. The other one is mines.
Your baby is very cute. Doing such a good job

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
How wonderful you were able to bring her home! She sounds wonderful and is very pretty :swoon: :cloud9:

Is she is two years old, then this is how she will always look.

I think so. (*Lutino)
Agh, autocorrect! Thank you xx

Yes, also was pretty sure she wouldn't change colours anymore but heard that the vibrancy will improve with a healthier diet so fingers crossed

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The feathers may be more vibrant after introducing a healthier diet... but they won´t change from orange to red at this age.
I look forward to reading your journey :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful lovie! Thank you for giving her a good home. :heart2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Very pretty pillow. Your new girlie looks like a Peachie.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! She is stunning!