• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcoming my new friend, Turix

linkay

Moving in
Hello! I joined Avian Avenue a few months ago when I realized I was enamoured with parrots and wanted to research more about them. Now, I'm happy to post about my new friend, a WC pionus, Turix. I'm not completely new to aviculture, I had cockatiels and budgies growing up, and had a sweet linnie until about 18 months ago. I also have experience with avian care, behaviour, and body language from volunteering at a wildlife rehab centre for the past few years.

Turix came from a very loving home, but unfortunately the family has had many recent life changes, and he wasn't getting the attention he deserves. (According to previous owner) Turix is a DNA'd male, ~4 years old, was a friendly family pet, and was a hand-fed baby. Over the past year, he's become shy and fearful, due to the lack of attention previously mentioned. His name was Kermit, which I agree is a very cute name, but I once worked with a girl at a horse barn with a dog named Kermit, and that dog was a terror. I gave it a good try, but couldn't get the bad taste out of my mouth. "Turix" is the Mayan word for dragonfly, referencing his iridescent plumage and region of origin.

He seems really shy. I've spent the past two days just hanging out nearby, talking to him, and trying to be non-threatening. Two days ago I worked on just being moving near the cage, yesterday I worked on reaching out and touching the cage, touching his things, and slowly opening the cage door. Eventually he was wiling to take treats and veggies from my hands, offered between the bars of his cage. Today I think I'll work on getting him to take veggies from the open cage door. I want to get him friendly enough that he'll sit on my shoulder or knee and let my scritch him. I'd love to one day be able to get a harness on him to take him outside, but maybe that's asking too much

I just wanted to introduce myself and my new friend to the forum, and ask if anyone had any suggestions, regarding anything, particularly taming and relationship building, but also routines, good treats, fun toys, your own trust building stories... anything!

Also, I'm trying to post a picture but I haven't posted before and I'm not sure if it worked :p

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Sounds like you've already made lots of progress with him! From what you've posted, it sounds like he's settling in well. Can't wait for pictures, welcome back to the Avenue. :D

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Hi and Welcome both to AA.
It does sound as if you have made a good start on bonding.
Post some pics.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful! Congrats on your new friend!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
White caps have the prettiest facial blue feathers. :heart: He is adorable, and he certainly lives up to his name!

linkay

Moving in
Thank you everyone! Here's some updates with his progress (& questions):
Yesterday he started taking veggies from the open door, so I left the door cracked so I wouldn't have to re-open it every time. At one point while I wasn't paying attention he snuck out the door and hung out on top of his cage. I wasn't sure what to do, but I didn't want to react and scare him from coming out again, so I just watched him. Eventually he settled on the open door and got comfortable, and eventually was taking treats from me outside the cage :D I left the door open the rest of the day, and he went in and out, chatting away at me, occasionally taking veggies from me.

This morning I got my first bite :( his previous owner had said he's become cage aggressive, but I had yet to see any evidence of this. Because he said that, though, I have been regularly standing near the cage, lifting my hand so he could see it, and slowly reaching out and touching the cage bars (near and away from him), the door, his food dishes, to show him that touching the cage isn't a threat and also to gauge his reaction to it. This morning I did this the same way I've been doing, and he suddenly lunged at my hand. It surprised me, I wasn't expecting it, so I jumped back. I've read that this is a bad reaction, because it reinforces this behaviour. So I calmly reached up again, in the same manor I have been doing, and he lunges again, this time grabbing onto my knuckle and biting. It hurt a lot but I didn't pull back, eventually he pulled off and backed away. Not sure if this was the right reaction, but I figured I should un-reinforce the idea that he should lunge and bite to get what he wants. I'm going to try better to read his body language, I guess!

Does anyone have any advice for this? Can you fix, or at least reduce, cage aggression? Should I work on this while I'm also working on taming him? Or focus on one thing at a time? Hopefully both of these things will come easier as we become to know and trust each other more, but if anyone has any tips it's greatly appreciated.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Just try to not mess with him inside his cage and watch his body language as usually they give clear warnings and bite or bluff when ignored. he might eventually let you into his house after you earn his trust more but they are known for being cage aggressive.
For Lurch when I got him a new much bigger cage he wasn't as aggressive anymore as I think he hadn't claimed it yet and had more room to stay away from the evil hands.
Just let him go at his own pace and he'll let you know and branch out as he gets more comfortable and you earn his trust.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie Pi. Congratulations

linkay

Moving in
Thanks for the advice, @Dartman , he's pretty willing to come out so I'll focus my relationship building during outside cage time.

linkay

Moving in
Now that his personality is coming out, I'm thinking the name "Kermit" was very appropriate. There's something distinctly frog-like about him, including some of the sounds he makes!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a handsome boy. Just amazing colors. It sounds like you are on your way to a great relationship!

BTW you said you recently had a Linnie. My girl, Gigi, is just 1 and such a joy.

linkay

Moving in
@Dona Linnies are absolute little dolls! The initial reason I started looking into Pis were because they were described as 'big linnies'

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dona Linnies are absolute little dolls! The initial reason I started looking into Pis were because they were described as 'big linnies'
Aww that's cute. I've never heard that. The one blue headed pionus I knew was very sweet and gentle. Her owner got her out of the cage with a big feather. Really, she just gave her a gentle brush and Julie knew it was time to come out.

linkay

Moving in
Aww that's cute. I've never heard that. The one blue headed pionus I knew was very sweet and gentle. Her owner got her out of the cage with a big feather. Really, she just gave her a gentle brush and Julie knew it was time to come out.
That is so sweet!

MyPiOwnsUs

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Turix looks great! I also have a rescued WC and your story sounds a lot like mine. Cricket (formerly "Buckwheat") was kept in a basement for an unknown number of years and was very shy and anxious when we got her. Sounds like you're giving Turix space and time, which is exactly what we did with Cricket. Our Cricket has never been a fan of hands, probably from mistreatment, so she, to this day, doesn't sit on us or like much hands-on interaction, so be prepared if that's the case with Turix. Cricket is still amazing and the love our our lives even though she doesn't sit on us. She loves having us, her flock, nearby, which is all we care about. And she will step up, but only if she knows she's going back to her cage, which is her safe place (and sometimes to look out the window, but then right back to the big cage).

As for the cage aggression, Cricket can get cage defensive, but I'd never classify it as aggression. However, in general, Cricket is very clear about when she wants us to back off. She will puff her head, sometimes only her cheeks ever so slightly, which is a clear indicator not to put my hand anywhere within striking distance. In fact, when she puffs her head at me, I'll simply walk away, since we want her to know that if she communicates that she wants to be left alone, we will respect her boundaries. That has built a lot of trust over the 10 years we've had her.

If you can find a reasonably priced copy of Sally Blanchard's "The Beak Book" I highly recommend buying it. I think it's currently out of print, but I saw a used copy online for about $20. This book has been priceless for avoiding being bit by Cricket simply because I learned her body language. The only time I've ever been bit by Cricket is when I've had to towel her for grooming or getting her to the vet or something, and frankly I don't blame her.

As for the lunging, if Cricket ever lunged at me, I personally would walk away and give her space. I don't think it reinforces lunging to get what they want, I think it's more giving them the space they just asked for (and in your situation, my take on the bite was that Turix asked you not to bother him by first lunging. Then, since you tried again, he told you a second time by biting. I wouldn't be surprised if, before even the first lunge, he was puffing his head a little or a lot, or maybe even opening his mouth slightly...both of those being the first warning even before the first lunge. The head puffing is a "Please don't", the first lung was a "I said, please don't", and the bite was a "I SAID DON'T!"). Since my husband and I have always respected Cricket's space, she trusts that we're not going to force her to do anything she doesn't want to (unless it's necessary like grooming or vet visits or emergencies, etc).

And I'd say build trust first before anything else, especially with a fearful, shy bird. My post is a bit late, so you will have had Turix for about 6 months now so I'm sure you've made a lot of progress. And if you hadn't, don't worry, just back off a little and let Turix go at his own pace. He's going to be with you a long time, and sometimes trust takes a long time, especially if he has learned that humans aren't on his side. Cricket continues to get more and more courageous and we've had her 10 years. She also still doesn't like hands very much, which is fine too. We don't blame her considering she was mistreated for probably years.

And a final word about taking Turix outside. I, personally, would never take a bird outside unless in it was in a cage or avian enclosure of some sort. Not only would I worry about Cricket flying away (she would never ever let me put her in a harness), but I also worry about hawks. Hawks can swoop down and grab a parrot before you even know what's happening. Also, even in an aviary, don't leave your bird unattended. I've heard about birds being grabbed through the bars by racoons. I do take Cricket outside occasionally in her sleep cage to soak up some sun (as long as it's not too hot!). But mostly she just likes to look out the window where she's safe. :)

In general, though, it sounds like you're a very conscientious caretaker, which is awesome. Thanks so much for taking great care of Turix! :D

MyPiOwnsUs

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Sorry, another thing I wanted to add. Parrots are so smart, and there are lots of ways to get them to do what you want without forcing them to. If you find yourself struggling to get Turix to do X or Y, rethink your approach. And somethings, like getting them to sit on you, just aren't in the cards. I'm not saying that Turix will never sit on you, but if he doesn't, you can still have an amazing relationship with him. And never punish aggression. Turix might be fearful (not necessarily aggressive) and wants space because he doesn't know you yet (and he's a Pi, so he might just want space because they tend to be independent). Let him come to you. In time, he'll let you know when he wants attention. Speaking of which, Cricket is cheeping for me so I've got to go. :D