• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome to the flock, Chiquito!

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
First of all, thank you everyone for all the love and support in light of Baldie's passing. I love him so much and I'm sure he knew that :) I will keep this post about Chiquito though!

I was granted the opportunity to take in a Cuban Amazon! So I took that opportunity! I'm welcoming Chiquito (translates roughly to "little guy" from Spanish) into my little family. We call him ChiChi or Chico for short :)

When I first met him, I said hi and he said hi back! We're already getting along great and he's adjusting well to my home. He is very quiet besides mimicking some of my speech and some very occasional low grumbles and clicks. He really likes to spend time with me and my sister/roommate, but doesn't have the same separation anxiety that my GCC Monty has; he's more independent.

This is my first time owning an Amazon! Any words of wisdom for me?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah, remove the little bugger from your neck!

Seriously, you will go through honeymoon stage then his real self will come out. I love love love my two but when MC gives me kisses by banging his beak against my chin, I still wonder if THAT is safe (um, no, it's not).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Chiquito! :)

I don't have anything to add, but he's adorable!
remove the little bugger from your neck!
...I'd have to agree with that...;)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Congrats!! I have trouble keeping our new bird off my shoulder too, it is a hard habit to break if they're used to it. But I've found reading the bite thread and over obsessing about the what ifs makes me anxious and that's not good either. Stay cool, confident and if he ends up sitting up there for a minute, don't convince yourself that he is or isn't going to bite your face. It could happen, it could not happen, and you've got to make the decision if you're comfortable with that risk or not. It's all a bit complicated as you try to earn their trust without getting hurt or creating bad habits for them, and bites will happen anyways, so do your best to stay safe and aware, but give him as much love as he'll have! Congrats again!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations, he´s beautiful :)

We call him ChiChi
Maybe don´t call him that around any Spanish speakers or they will look at you very strangely

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Lovely bird! I agree with the others, no face/shoulder time until you know this bird much better.

Amazons are one of my favorites, but they can be little Jekyll and Hyde's.

They're infamous for their feisty hormonal aggression. Some never show it, others give the devil a run for his money!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Congratulations :congratsbig:He is handsome. Several have said it so I wont harp about the shoulder. Give it time to get to know him and read him.
My girl sits on my shoulder daily and has for almost 5 years now, but there are times when I know better than to let her sit there. Shes very good at letting me
know when she is overstimulated or if shes just not in the mood for it. Try to get him on a good diet if he isnt already and make him exercise. Lots of good toys, wood and
things to climb on. Lucy loves boings and bells and her playstand. Good luck and keep us updated with pics :)