• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome to our Senior Center

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
You asked and we built it. :welcomeflag:to our new Senior Center! A place to discuss things about our very special Senior birds

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yay!!!!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I guess I will start this off:)Not sure what everyone considers a senior bird! I find it hard to believe that any of My fids are getting old-they seem the same now as they did years ago! I rekon Jimmy is My oldest-He is 32 now(I think) :hug8::heart::hug8:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Lol my birds are both 15 years old which I keep hearing is really old in lovie years.I got them when they were 8 and 10 weeks old and it's been non stop mayhem ever since. I don't regret second and never thought I would be a bird owner. They are the best decision I have ever made.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
So what do birds do at their new senior center? Is there free bingo? :lol:
Peanut would love it actually, lots of chips to throw around and a nice card to destroy.

Now that'd be a sight; parrot bingo. Winner is the first person to have all their chips snapped in half, stolen, or misplaced and a completely unsalvageable card.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Some of mine are older, some not.
Coco-Cockatiel - 18 in July
Dusty-Greencheek Conure - 18 in November
Taz-Greencheek Conure - 15 in March
Bo-Red Fronted Macaw - 12
Paco-Red Fronted Macaw - 9
Jake-Black Headed Caique - 9 in December
Carly-Red Fronted Macaw - 6

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
This is a great. Even though my senior has ventured on he was still flying up to about a week ago. Maybe not so far but he was doing some. I found that he got a lot more hormonal in his last two years but could still be a sweetie.

Looking forward to reading more about the Seniors.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think like 14, ?
I was going to say about the same thing- 14-15? If you look at cockatiel books, a lot say that average life span for a tiel is 12-15. However, I think as we learn more about better nutrition, etc. that is really changing. I think a lot of us on AA have tiels over 15 and going strong. :)

My senior Sunny is going to be twenty this fall. I took him to the vet's yesterday evening for a nail trim and decided to have a gram stain done while we were there since he had been sick a couple months ago. The good new is no bad bacteria. :) The not so good news, which has been Sunny's on-going problem, is that his good bacteria level is not as high as the vet would like it to be. My vet thinks that just like with humans as they age, parrots' immunity levels can decrease too. So, Sunny will basically be forever on probiotics. I had been sprinkling it on his birdie bread but I don't think he was eating much of it lately. So, I'm now putting it on his millet. Gotta get that good bacteria level up. The other good news is the vet said Sunny's weight was good. :) Those senior birdies keep us on our toes.

And thanks for creating this section! :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Come to think of it Cynthia, I've never met a really old Goffin. I think your 28 may be the oldest I've heard of.

Are they not out there? Or have I just not seen them?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i do not know they reach puberty at 7 years and that is when all the problems start mine is very plucked has been that way since i got him 14 years ago

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Yay! This is awesome! Weeble is turning 18 soon so I'm glad to have this section for the future. Her 20's are barreling down on me way too quickly.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think Rosie (The GW) should be an honorary member. Great idea for a forum!

I was hiding. ;)

My two girls are very old... the oldest on the forum I think. Next to them ( GW 75 & Military 59 ) are two more GW I believe. @Cara 's Rocky and @Karen 's Kita.

While I love that everyone honors and looks up to them it's scary for me. While Sakie is doing well I feel cataracts are setting in. She also had some strange feather abnormalities this year.

Rosie is on borrowed time, I've known this for years. Her husband left me at 62 years old and she has been home with me since. My vet is wonderful with her, she would not be here without him. We don't make the same choices for her that we would with the younger ones but we do what we think is best.

When I say "we" that would mean myself and Mary Lynn. @Hankmacaw is the first one I call if anything is amiss with Rosie. Mary Lynn loves her as much as I and helps to make difficult decisions.

If tomorrow is her last day, she lived the best life! She is my inspiration and has taught me so much. Xoxoxo