• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome Petoskey...for MING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
IMG_0079.jpg

This is Petoskey who is a Greater Vasa Parrot. He was one year old 6/14/12. I have had him 2 months now. He is hand shy but VERY motivated by food. We are working on him coming to me more readily. Enjoy.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
How much does he weigh Peggy? I've never seen one in this part of the world so thanks for sharing. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:eek: He is amazing! :heart:How come you are just now mentioning him? More pics..more info!:cool1:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Carol, everyone wanted pics and I did not know how to do that. I finallygot some pics posted of my tooz and of Pet...but then I couldn't do anymore or what the heck I did to post them. He is a sweety and does not bite even being hand shy. But boy, do they like to eat and need meat in their diet. I did read about Eve and several other Vasa's. I will need to get more pictures of him now. I got the rescue plucking lsc too the Pet two weeks later. He was 1 y/o when I got him. I had been on a waiting list for 1 1/2 years. Saw one about 10 years ago who was being rehomed. Should have gotten that one...he was a cutey...reminded me a lot of conures. Very playful.

Glad you like him and thank you.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
OMG.
He's beautiful.
I'm dying, he's so magnificent. /overly dramatic I'm sorry

But OH!
I love him. :3

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I admit to not knowing much about them, except for a few things that make them different.But I am fascinated by them, and curious. Like what do they sound like? Can they talk? What do their feathers feel like? Soft like a parrot, or stiffer like a corvid? Do they get along with other birds generally? Does the need for meat thing make them a bit more smelly than most birds?{their cage}

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh and I love his name!:heart: How did you come up with it?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Oh and I love his name!:heart: How did you come up with it?

The name comes from the Petoskey stone. When younger the family vacationed in Michigan. We would walk the shores by sleeping bear sand dunes looking for Petoskey stones. The stone is actually a prehistoric fossil. I figured my vasa looks somewhat prehistoric thus the name. Lots of nice memories. Pet is a cute short version

Michigan's Treasure

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I admit to not knowing much about them, except for a few things that make them different.But I am fascinated by them, and curious. Like what do they sound like? Can they talk? What do their feathers feel like? Soft like a parrot, or stiffer like a corvid? Do they get along with other birds generally? Does the need for meat thing make them a bit more smelly than most birds?{their cage}
I continue to learn about them. Their call is a chortle but it can be a little harsh but not bad on the scale of things. Feathers to me feel like a CAGs. My understanding is this is the way they should feel. If they don't get a proper diet the cere is hard rather than soft and the feathers stiffer like a macaw. The diet is high in fruit. They also need vit a. Reminds me of an ekkie diet. They need to have protein usually in the form of meat a couple of times a week and in breeding season 4 times a week. I do the same with the sugar glider...more fruit/protein source. The other birds like the diet also but get different size portions.

Regarding other birds. I guess they are ok. But one reports of her Vasa catching a conure mid air. I won't be letting my quaker or keet run by the vasa. The tooz and macaw can hold their own.

The one I saw a few years back was quite playful. He was laying on his back on the floor of the cage playing with a toy. Watching his play and behavior reminded me of conures which I happen to love.

They wean at 7 weeks :omg:so need to be fed well...quick growing. They become cranky if there is not enough protein in the diet. Pet has been an easy bird to live with these past couple of months. Still working on the shyness as he was not handled much. This just takes some time. The can talk although they are not the best talkers. He loves watching the other birds now that he is out of quarantine. He is happy as long as he gets his foods and treats. He so far is not a big wood chewer but loved the basket type toys I got...ripped them apart. Beak is strong but the toenails seem delicate to me...not thick like some parrots are.

Last edited:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
What a majestic looking bird WOW he is lucky to have you..;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a neat stone.:) It naturally has that honeycomb appearance?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They do sort of look like a cross between a parrot and a raptor.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is gorgeous! I love Vasa parrots! I have worked with a few in my past. I find them very fascinating.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is beautiful! I am glad that things are going well!

Matt

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
He is gorgeous! I love Vasa parrots! I have worked with a few in my past. I find them very fascinating.

And I am ready to delve in to all that knowledge you have! He really is a very nice bird. Not cuddley like a too but not fiesty like some amazons can be. I put them to be like a cross between a galah and conure. Fun, like people but more independent.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwwwwww...HE IS STUNNING...WOWWWWWWWWWW

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Amazing bird, I didnt make the connection between meat eating & quaker hunter :eek: He's very beautiful :heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He's amazing looking! Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.