• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome my new chickens

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
After a bit of heart break losing Comet we adopted two little leghorns. Of course the first night with us they roosted in a tree and we were worried we lost them. I felt really bad since I was the one who didn't get them into their new coup early enough. Luckily this morning we found them in a tree and with Starlight's help we encourage them back down to earth! Starlight is the black chicken with white speckles (she has scoliosis).

Anyway please welcome Cheerio (red) and Bean (black). They are around 1 year old, so it is good to know more about their background. We had no idea how old Comet was when we adopted her.

PXL_20220811_012152025.jpg
PXL_20220811_012200908.jpg

Starlight trying to encourage them out of the tree this morning.
PXL_20220811_203635246.jpg
They were very high! Snuggled into the branches and of course it was also a rainy night. Poor girls.
PXL_20220811_202414271.jpg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcome: Cuties!! You've found the best home!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So wonderful to see Starlight has new friends! It really is so lovely and heartwarming :swoon: I´m sure she´s super happy having them around and she was really clever finding them so quickly and calling to them this morning, she must be very intellegent :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How long do they usually live?
There are lots of factors. Breed plays a factor and so does egg laying. High egg laying breeds tend to live much shorter. However like any being some have genetic illnesses or other things. A shorter lifespan breed is 5-6 years, longer lived breeds can live beyond 12. Yet once I had a chicken die from cancer at 2 and a chick who had a serious genetic issue who didn't grow normally and passed at 10weeks. It is hard to reduce a life to numbers, and when we adopt birds sometimes they come with baggage, so we just do the best to make life full and happy. We never expect eggs. They are our friends first.