• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome home, Shrimp and Buddy!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I was able to arrange to get two more hermit crabs who's owner couldn't look after anymore. They're both in their PPSD tank as of now, so I can check them for any illness.
Shrimp has been pretty active, eating, drinking etc. Buddy's been burrowed under some of the rocks, so I don't have a photo of them yet.
Here's the photo I was able to take of Shrimp while he was eating some pecan nuts.
1685857754986.png
He's just changed out of the painted shell into a nice natural one.
Here's a pic of the temporary tank, you might be able to see Buddy hidden under the rocks...
1685857872916.png

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Expect a lot of photos of them once they've settled in, they're absolutely gorgeous.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ok its probably really obvious to you but I don't have crabs so I am unsure of the PPSD... what is it?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Ok its probably really obvious to you but I don't have crabs so I am unsure of the PPSD... what is it?

'Post Purchase Death Sydrome', is what can happen to a hermit crab after being put through stressful conditions like low humidity, low temp, wrong diet etc. The PPDS tank slowly introduces the hermit crabs into the higher humidity, the higher temp, and its a sort of 'settle in' period.

Worded better by Sue Lattel : "PPDS is the result of a crab’s inability to physiologically adapt quickly enough from his natural circumstances (environment and habits) into a transitional one and then into a captive environment. The inability to adapt is invoked and influenced by the degree of and withholding of elements the crabs need to adjust to their environment. This statement means that crabs suffer the most risk of physical stress induced death from the change in their environment (heat, humidity, range and associated resources) by being harvested, shipped and housed by the pet merchants. Resources in this context are water, salt water, food and shelter. Explicitly we need to recognize that the stress is not an “emotional” one, which we have to tendency to relate more easily to. It is physical and involves their ability or inability to forage (for food); have access to resources such as salt water, fresh water; an appropriate substrate and/or room to metabolize to their new environmental surroundings (heat and humidity)"

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
'Post Purchase Death Sydrome', is what can happen to a hermit crab after being put through stressful conditions like low humidity, low temp, wrong diet etc. The PPDS tank slowly introduces the hermit crabs into the higher humidity, the higher temp, and its a sort of 'settle in' period.

Worded better by Sue Lattel : "PPDS is the result of a crab’s inability to physiologically adapt quickly enough from his natural circumstances (environment and habits) into a transitional one and then into a captive environment. The inability to adapt is invoked and influenced by the degree of and withholding of elements the crabs need to adjust to their environment. This statement means that crabs suffer the most risk of physical stress induced death from the change in their environment (heat, humidity, range and associated resources) by being harvested, shipped and housed by the pet merchants. Resources in this context are water, salt water, food and shelter. Explicitly we need to recognize that the stress is not an “emotional” one, which we have to tendency to relate more easily to. It is physical and involves their ability or inability to forage (for food); have access to resources such as salt water, fresh water; an appropriate substrate and/or room to metabolize to their new environmental surroundings (heat and humidity)"
Wow that is interesting- I knew they were delicate but this explanation makes me think that they are often accidentally killed due to good meaning people trying to better their living conditions too fast.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Wow that is interesting- I knew they were delicate but this explanation makes me think that they are often accidentally killed due to good meaning people trying to better their living conditions too fast.
Absolutely! This also often deters people from improving their care, too unfortunately.

rabbitic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tommy (they/he)
hermit crabs are such darlings!! i just know these little guys are gonna feel really happy in your care. welcome home to shrimp and buddy :heart:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I am looking forward to seeing their permanent arrangements especially as the transitional ones are already really cool and interesting looking. I’m learning a lot from this thread.