• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
So after the baby being put down because of a dodgy ring the other red factor from the same breeder has completely lost it's ring in the aviary today. Paranoid that he's got a stomach full of plastic now. Is this a common thing with canaries or bad practice on the breeder's part?

• Sad
Reactions: Ali

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Huh?

Could you Explain?

Two young canary’s, and their rings are lost?
That shouldnt happen. Baby’s are beeing ringed between the 5th and 7th day (usually) because then their feet are still soft and mallable, and still large enough not to lose the ring. It sometimes happen when the ring is too big, that it falls off when you return the baby to its nest, but if its lost when the bird is allready in the aviary, then i think something went wrong :(

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Huh?

Could you Explain?

Two young canary’s, and their rings are lost?
That shouldnt happen. Baby’s are beeing ringed between the 5th and 7th day (usually) because then their feet are still soft and mallable, and still large enough not to lose the ring. It sometimes happen when the ring is too big, that it falls off when you return the baby to its nest, but if its lost when the bird is allready in the aviary, then i think something went wrong :(
In a previous post one of the previous babies from the same breeder died because the rings were put on to tight and was cutting off circulation.

And yes I believe this also has something to do with the breeder since my canary also has rings and he's still alive after 3 years.

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
Hi, as Lunar said I had a baby red factor whose ring was too tight, it got caught and the little one severed it's leg trying to get free. For some reason it had a ring on both legs. Yesterday an older canary from the same breeder managed to bite or break it's ring off. It had worn it for months so it didn't just slip off. I'm thinking this may be a breeder to avoid from now on.

Reactions: Ali