• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird sleeping habit GCC

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
HI AGAIN

I'm sorry in advance to opening up new threads to ask questions, but I tried finding the answer but had no luck

My GCC likes to cling to the side of the cage to sleep for some reason, I've had him for 7 months and he's been this way for as long as I've had him, so it's not a concern of mine, I just figured that's where he finds comfortable (even though he has few perches to chose from)

Anyhow, I live in dubai and it gets VERY hot, so A/C is almost always on, he is away from drafts and during the day time he's either perched on me or on his perches.

Now SINCE he loves clinging to his cage for sleep I'm super concerned about the cage bars getting cold..
I've tried to get him to sleep on a perch or something but he just doesn't do it.

So my question is, is that going to get too cold for him? (the cage bars) and what can I do to make sure he stays warm at night.

Almost forgot, I do cover his cage with a blanket to reduce the cold abit

And the reason I'm asking this now is because we have moved and there isn't a separate bird room for me to place him, the only other free spot is by the kitchen and laundry room and I'm not comfortable placing him there So I've got to place his cage in my bedroom.

Thankyou and sorry again for the continuous posts :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
GCC are notorious for weird sleeping behaviors, so I wouldn't be worried at all. There are cases where they sleep on their backs on the bottom of the cage ect, much to the dismay of their carers! I would try to place a few platforms at the highest point of the cage, if you haven't already! You can try getting a trampoline (canvas type) bed also... which is a favorite of most fids!

Good luck! :)

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
So normal, I had two GCC sisters and they hung on the side of the cage all the way at the top and slept together. Was rather worrisome at first until the AVN stated it was very normal since each one has a particular way to rest. :)

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
Won't their feet get cold though? Because of the A/C?

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Bird feet are specially designed to resist the cold. I had a similar concern when Sunflower started playing with ice.

sylven

Meeting neighbors
mine hung on the side of the cage & slept there for the first few days we had her, she was out one evening & i had to put her back in so i popped her in her tent, never out of it since & loves it, goes in during the day for a snooze also :)

Last edited:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Here is how mine sleep - all smooshed up in a ball of feathers, feet and eyeballs hanging in a corner. It can be quite alarming to see but they have a a full cage and lots of perches and platforms available. Go figure. I think if their feet were cold on the bars, they would move - they are pretty smart.
GCCs sleeping.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can try placing a perch in the sleeping spot, but otherwise, I'd say it's nothing to worry about! ;)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio did it for over a year until I got him a platform perch...now he sleeps on it & Uses it day & night.