• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird sleeping behavior

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
We have 2 male budgie. They are on the right side of the pictures. Both male. For some reason, at night time, Kiki like to peck potato when he woke up(because we have them in the living room, and sometimes we watch tv, Kiki Will wake up because of the sound). I don't know how to post a video. But it is definitely an interesting behavior.

Attachments

Last edited:

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
When potato(the yellow one) is sleeping, Kiki will try to wake him up if he is up. Does it means something or Kiki Is just being mean? They usually sleep on the branches by the window, i do have cages, But i have a hard time getting them in. They are both rescue, so not tame yet. I have Kiki For roughly 2 month, so he can eat out of my hand. Potato Is still scared, But he is getting used to me around. They free fly in the living room

Attachments

Last edited:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The noise from the tv has probably startled KiKi he might think the noise is a threat so i waking potato up in case it is a threat and they need to give flight.
Maybe wear headphones in watching tv whilst they sleep i would definately consider turning the volume down you need to be aiming for a good 12 hours sleep a night.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
The noise from the tv has probably startled KiKi he might think the noise is a threat so i waking potato up in case it is a threat and they need to give flight.
Maybe wear headphones in watching tv whilst they sleep i would definately consider turning the volume down you need to be aiming for a good 12 hours sleep a night.
I see. That is really nice of him.. I thought he was just getting bored. We will sometimes use headphones. But not all the time, it is actually not quite convenient to have birds in the living room. But the lovebirds are taking over the second bedroom. Cant really let Kiki and tato stay there.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see. That is really nice of him.. I thought he was just getting bored. We will sometimes use headphones. But not all the time, it is actually not quite convenient to have birds in the living room. But the lovebirds are taking over the second bedroom. Cant really let Kiki and tato stay there.
I keep my conures in the living room they are family and we are part of there flock, i do very much believe there has to be degrees of compromise from us all however them getting a good nights sleep the compromise is all mine, i cant listen to music without headphones anymore, i cant play my guitar anymore if i watch the tv it has to be low so as not to disturb them.
I also cover there cages so they get darkness KiKi isnt being nice he is looking after his flock.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do not watch TV if you are keeping/disturbing your birds. I set up mine that when light went out at 7pm I went in another room for entertainment so as not to interrupt my budgies sleep pattern. Did that for many years.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
I keep my conures in the living room they are family and we are part of there flock, i do very much believe there has to be degrees of compromise from us all however them getting a good nights sleep the compromise is all mine, i cant listen to music without headphones anymore, i cant play my guitar anymore if i watch the tv it has to be low so as not to disturb them.
I also cover there cages so they get darkness KiKi isnt being nice he is looking after his flock.
I can't really put them in the cage at this moment as tato and Kiki are still new to our family. So i will usually let them do whatever they want as long as it is safe to do so and sleep wherever they want. The spot is usually fixed. They don't like sleeping in dark place, Kiki do night flights before when i turn off all the light in the living room. So i think sleeping by the window is something that he enjoy. Once They get used to me, i will try to have them sleep in the cage. Right now i will just let them be. We do lower our tv volumn. Thank you for replying.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Do not watch TV if you are keeping/disturbing your birds. I set up mine that when light went out at 7pm I went in another room for entertainment so as not to interrupt my budgies sleep pattern. Did that for many years.
Right now i think we are doing what we could by lowering our tv volumn, and putting on headphones. Hopefully soon enough i can get them in the cage and have them sleep in the room with my lovebirds. Seperate cages for sure.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't really put them in the cage at this moment as tato and Kiki are still new to our family. So i will usually let them do whatever they want as long as it is safe to do so and sleep wherever they want. The spot is usually fixed. They don't like sleeping in dark place, Kiki do night flights before when i turn off all the light in the living room. So i think sleeping by the window is something that he enjoy. Once They get used to me, i will try to have them sleep in the cage. Right now i will just let them be. We do lower our tv volumn. Thank you for replying.
I think this Logic is flawed birds left out of a cage overnight are very much at risk there are a lot of things that would be a danger in your living room to them. If they become startled and took flight they could hit furniture a wall and suffer serious injury.
Imo they need to be caged there is no reason for them not to be caged especially them being new to the family.

donutweall

Walking the driveway
I think this Logic is flawed birds left out of a cage overnight are very much at risk there are a lot of things that would be a danger in your living room to them. If they become startled and took flight they could hit furniture a wall and suffer serious injury.
Imo they need to be caged there is no reason for them not to be caged especially them being new to the family.
I agree with Wardy about the importance of bedtime = cage. It's more difficult to get them started on the habit if you let them get used to sleeping wherever. But it can be changed! Never too late :)

OP, if you need suggestions about getting your new flock members into the cage at night without grabbing them- try to develop a routine. Feed them at certain times, and only in the cage. For the last meal of the day, they should go back into the cage and you can close the door. Once this becomes habit, bedtime is easy.

Another suggestion is gently herding them towards the cage. Hard to describe in words if you don't already have some familiarity with herding animals though (horses, sheep, etc).

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I know how hard it can be to get them into a routine but it is best for them. They need the safety of a cage at night. Now this said, they will be much more accepting of going into their cage if a regular routine is observed. 12 hrs sleep is best but it can certainly be on your time. When do you go to bed? When do you need them to wake up? It's probably best to start lowering lights and encouraging them to seek out their cage about an hour before you go to sleep if they are in a common area. Offer them a treat inside their cage or simply close their cage when they go in to eat if it is near bedtime. Be consistent with this routine. Don't worry about noise when you arise. Leave them until it's been 10-12 hrs. Then do a morning routine. Open their cage, give them new food, talk to them, etc.

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
I agree with this. I used to let my birds sleep with their cage open because they liked to stay on the very top perch. One night I left for work and forgot to leave the kitchen lights on to give them some dim light (I work the night shift). I decided to check up on the birds through a camera I have set up and I see them flying around in the dark and bouncing off the walls. Something had spooked them and they just flew off their perch into the darkness. So I left work and jammed back home to put them back in the cage before they hurt themselves.
Since then, I always put them in their cage at night. I’ve also added a floor lamp by their cage which I can adjust the brightness from my phone from anywhere.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
You can find one of my earliest posts talking about baby Merlin overstuffing himself with millet like a little Pooh bear and flying up to my bookcase and attempting to go to sleep there. :roflmao: I had to sit for a good hour or so until he was hungry enough to be interested in a millet spray and lured back into his cage. Now both boys have learned "into your house!" and climb onto their highest perches like toddlers getting into bunk beds at bedtime. Getting that last meal close to bedtime after a decent afternoon fast will be key! Safe place to eat = safe place to sleep.