• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird sickness?

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Hi all,

I have two budgies, Disco and Kermit. Disco has had breathing problems and multiple vet visits in 2019 so far. He's doing much better. His cagemate, Kermit, never exhibited any of the respiratory symptoms, but I noticed recently that he was having some diarrhea and lethargy. I took them to the vet about twoish weeks ago, and they said their fecals came back perfect, but Disco could stand to lose some weight and that was probably the cause for Kermit's lethargy (his cagemate eating most of the food). I separated them for about a week during the day when I was at work, so they could work on their weight issues.

After there separation ended (about a week ago), I started switching them to new food. They both seemed to be doing well. Yesterday (Sunday), I came home around 3pm from running errands most of the day, and Kermit had some stickiness on his feathers. I thought that was strange, and sure enough a few minutes later he started projectile vomiting and panicking around his cage. It was so horrible to watch, I was pacing around calling every vet office that was open.

Unfortunately, his regular vet was closed, so we went to an emergency vet hospital (I explained the situation over the phone and they told me he could be seen there). After four hours of waiting, they gave him a physical exam and said his crop seemed dilated but they couldn't do anything else for him, and I would have to go to my regular vet to get bloodwork and x-rays. They gave me antibiotics in syringes because they didn't know what it could be and they said to just treat him with that. (He won't take it from me, but I'm also hesitant giving him antibiotics when we don't even know what's wrong... what if it's yeast?)

He got through the night well, after drinking water and eating. Well today he's been eating A LOT (is he just compensating for throwing up?) and he did drink some water earlier, but it seems like he's not pooping much. I've only seen him poop maybe three times today, and he's very lethargic (as is pretty normal after a vet visit)...

Now I'm extremely busy the rest of the week, so it's going to be hard for me to get him to a vet and I'll be at work so I won't be able to monitor him as well. I've been obsessing over him for 24 hours and I can't do anything else I need to get done. I don't know what to do.

Is he just recovering from all the stress? Do budgies ever just throw up once and then they're fine? :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Rachel,

Sorry to hear Kermit isn´t well.

Now I'm extremely busy the rest of the week, so it's going to be hard for me to get him to a vet and I'll be at work so I won't be able to monitor him as well. I've been obsessing over him for 24 hours and I can't do anything else I need to get done. I don't know what to do.
Maybe, you could tell work you have a dentist appointment.... A little cheeky yes, but it is an important cause and not just skipping work for nothing, plus it´s only a couple of hours.

There has been a lot of changes for Kermit; losing weight, then being split from his buddy, then gaining weight, then back with his buddy, then a new food, and finally vomiting.

I´m sorry I´m not much help, I hope you are able to get to the vet somehow.

@PoukieBear @Lady Jane

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, poor little guy doesn't sound like he's feeling very well. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the issue could be, but I'm glad you've already gone to the vet and are going back for more tests.

Going back and forth to the vet so many times will definitely be stressful for him, so it doesn't surprise me that he's a little more quiet and subdued. You can do the usual to make him feel a little less stressed by cover the cage on 3 sides.
How are you transporting him back and forth?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OK I have some questions. What are you feeding them now and have you been feeding any fresh corn at all? No, budgies do not vomit unless there is a problem. I think you need to take time out for dealing with this issue. Please take him to see an avian vet because this very well could be avian gastric disease. The testing should be a gram stain of the crop. This is done by the vet swabbing the crop and then looking at the stained material from the crop under a microscope. Vet will make a slide to do this.
If AGY is present vet will see yeast growing. AGY needs to be treated early on before it gets too bad. Sorry to tell you but it can be fatal if untreated. I have lost a budgie to the condition and now I am in daily surveillance of my budgies for signs or symptoms.
Do not feed any foods containing sugary foods until you get the all clear. I hesitate to give you any further advice until you know what is happening. Good luck

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Vomiting can also be a bacterial infection. And if so, he will need antibiotics. I would definitely try to get him to the vet's asap. They hide their illness really well and can often be sicker than they seem.

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks for all the replies! It’s nice to talk to others who have bird experience.

My mom was able to take the boys to our regular vet while I was at work yesterday, the doc says his poo showed 2-3x normal bacteria levels so he is on antibiotics now. They’ve given him two doses so far and they called and said he is doing better already! Unfortunately they have to stay until Saturday morning since I’ve never had luck with syringing them medicine, but I am happy they are in great hands and can be properly monitored while I’m at work.

The doc also said Kermit is quite skinny, he’s always been on the smaller side since I got him. His frame seems smaller than Disco’s. So it’s good he went in when he did because he doesn’t have much extra fat on him to help while he’s sick!

Thanks again ❤

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thanks for sharing the update. I´m so glad you got him to the vet and they have found what is wrong with him.

Wishing Kermit and Disco a speedy recovery :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad they got to the vet and the vet figured out what was wrong. The good news is bacterial infections tend to clear up pretty quickly with antibiotics. You might want to ask you vet about giving them probiotics for awhile too.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Blessings for a speedy recovery!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that mom took them to the vet and hope they will both be better soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Happy Healing!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sure hope Kermit is TONS better by today! :hug4:

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Hi all! Just picked the boys up a couple hours ago. The vet said they are the two healthiest birds there as of today! She said there's been a lot of problems lately with moldy and bad seed etc. on the market.

They've been napping and preening, had some food and water. :) They were excited to jump on my hand and they flew around a bit since they've been cooped up at the vet. Thanks for asking!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news! Thanks for the update.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Fantastic news. So glad to hear they are healthy and on their way home!❤

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
So, I should also mention that Disco has been treated three times for a respiratory infection since Jan. The first two, he had antibiotics in his water, the second time he also had antifungals because the vet jumped to treat him for asper, and the third time he got his meds syringed orally at the avian vet for four days in a row, and said it was bacteria, not asper.

When they sent him home (back in March), the vet said he is perfectly healthy and she can't find a reason for his sneezing, and since both birds aren't sneezing, it likely isn't an environment thing. But he still sneezes, even the day they sent him home! Wet sneezes! (Clear, not discolored) He also had a fecal in April and nothing was abnormal.

Sometimes at night he has sneezing fits and it looks like he loses his breath for a second. I haven't been getting much sleep because sometimes his sneezes wake me up at night and then I panic because there's nothing I can do and I get worried.

I've been keeping their area and my room clean, I deep clean their cage once a week with a vinegar solution and hot water, and I vacuum the whole room. I try to monitor for mold since the tenant before me complained of some mold problems. I have a humidity monitor and try to keep it a happy medium. I've been bringing their cage into the bathroom when I shower so they can steam up. (Sometimes this trigger's Disco's sneezing attacks, too.) Other than the sneezing, he is a perfectly happy guy. Singing, eating, drinking, playing, flying, etc.

What am I doing wrong?! Could he just have allergies? I've also noticed his down feathers getting stuck in his nose before, I've had to pull some out when they were peeking out enough, but there have been one or two that were too far in to get without instruments, and I didn't want to risk hurting him.

I just want this stress to go away and my baby to be healthy. :( I'm getting sick of bringing him into the vet and having them say he's fine.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Just want to say you are doing everything you can at this point. I'm a new bird mommy, so unfortunately don't have any advice, but I'm sure with all the helpful, experienced owners on here you've come to the right place!
You've been paying attention to them, and taking them to the vet when anything seems amiss and those are the 2 most important things! I hope you find out what is causing the sneezing, and I pray it's just a minor issue that can be easily fixed.

Disckerm

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Well I’m going to have to take them back in later this morning. Disco has kept me up half the night again with sneezing fits and his tail is still bobbing.

I’m struggling financially already so hopefully THIS time I shell out hundreds of dollars he’ll actually be cured instead of a temporary fix. He’s been on antibiotics off and on all 2019 so far and has monthly vet visits. :( Maybe it’s not bacteria? But the highly experienced avian vet we go to can usually never find anything wrong with him.

It’s dumb too because I have fresh antibiotics at home but he is such a fighter when you try to examine him I don’t think I would be able to get any meds in him myself.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Well I’m going to have to take them back in later this morning. Disco has kept me up half the night again with sneezing fits and his tail is still bobbing.

I’m struggling financially already so hopefully THIS time I shell out hundreds of dollars he’ll actually be cured instead of a temporary fix. He’s been on antibiotics off and on all 2019 so far and has monthly vet visits. :( Maybe it’s not bacteria? But the highly experienced avian vet we go to can usually never find anything wrong with him.

It’s dumb too because I have fresh antibiotics at home but he is such a fighter when you try to examine him I don’t think I would be able to get any meds in him myself.
so what did the vet say this time? Maybe you should try and find another? I am so aggravated when I take my animals to the vet and they say they can't do anything/don't know what it is but I still have to pay a fortune before I go... :shifty: