• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I've know the parasite can survive quite a while outside of a body in the dry air, but never long enough to survive in a bag of seed.
Giardia are mostly water-bourne. They are not killed by chlorine or any of the other processing tap water goes through. The only way to be sure of killing them is to boil the water.
Interesting! He gets Poland springs bottled water though :roflmao: so I don’t think it could be the water

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
The online vet recommended I give Echinacea tea to luke until he goes to the vet. I’ve never given any of my budgies tea before, what do you all think of this? Have you used it ?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used pure organic chamomile tea with the budgies before. They had no problem drinking it. I steeped two bags per package directions and then diluted it 50:50 with spring water.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
The online vet recommended I give Echinacea tea to luke until he goes to the vet. I’ve never given any of my budgies tea before, what do you all think of this? Have you used it ?
Also I don’t know what brand I should get. Anyone recommend? Something I can get at target/ CVS/ wegmans etc

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A lot of online vendors sell tea mixes actually designed for our birds.
I used pure organic chamomile tea with the budgies before. They had no problem drinking it. I steeped two bags per package directions and then diluted it 50:50 with spring water.
Oh yes. I have chamomile tea with my flock every afternoon. Don't know if I'm imagining things but I believe they stop drinking their water in anticipation. Always goes down well.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
A lot of online vendors sell tea mixes actually designed for our birds.

Oh yes. I have chamomile tea with my flock every afternoon. Don't know if I'm imagining things but I believe they stop drinking their water in anticipation. Always goes down well.
I asked him what brand and he said celestial tea but there are different types. And they all seem to be sleepy time teas? Lol

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also I don’t know what brand I should get. Anyone recommend? Something I can get at target/ CVS/ wegmans etc
Organic herbal tea designed for humans is good but it should be prepared half strength. I know chamomile is good but I'm not sure about all the other blends though.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Both these are good but I don't know where you'll get them.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If you see some you'd like to try you can always post the ingredients in the food forum to check them out. In fact you could just post the maker and the blend of the tea and our studious fellow members will find out for you.
In fact it's time a thread was put up in there @CGrillo , why don't you start one there on tea blends for birds ;)

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
That's what I have and used it for my budgie boys during the road trip we had to take.
I’ve never used it before. Do you just make it with the bag and then dilute it a little? What brand did you use?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
If you see some you'd like to try you can always post the ingredients in the food forum to check them out. In fact you could just post the maker and the blend of the tea and our studious fellow members will find out for you.
In fact it's time a thread was put up in there @CGrillo , why don't you start one there on tea blends for birds ;)
Thread posted!!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never brewed echinacea, but for this chamomile, it says on the box to brew 4 bags with one quart of water. I halved that, and then diluted the resulting tea in half by diluting the final volume of tea with an equal volume of spring water. Poured that mix into a bottle for the road, but gave them some the night before we left. I made a new batch for the return trip, and did not give them any for the time away.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
These are today’s poops...still bad :(
Just very frustrated and nervously waiting for our appointment on Tuesday
They do not look bad. The faeces are well formed, there's a good amount of white urates. The reason for the little extra water we're seeing could be as simple as stress (which he'll likely be picking up from you), or he just likes drinking. Doesn't necessarily mean he's sick or getting sicker.
Calm down. How can you look after him if you're stressing so much?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
They do not look bad. The faeces are well formed, there's a good amount of white urates. The reason for the little extra water we're seeing could be as simple as stress (which he'll likely be picking up from you), or he just likes drinking. Doesn't necessarily mean he's sick or getting sicker.
Calm down. How can you look after him if you're stressing so much?
i hate waiting so long to prevent him from getting help. Since he already went to the vet for the same thing in September I worry its Something more serious

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I'm not seeing anything that I would be concerned with to be honest.
Glad to hear that from someone else!
His droppings though are coated in a lot of mucus and a puddles of urine. His morning poops are really gross looking. Some droppings don’t even have the fecal portion. I just can’t wait to get him to the vet especially for a piece of mind.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Some droppings don’t even have the fecal portion
If that's what's concerning you stop worrying. They don't always pass faeces in their poops despite us calling them poops. Just like sometimes you'll get the odd one without any urates or liquid. It's totally natural, just like the colour. When they eat vegs or fruit the faeces reflect what they've eaten so they'll become lighter in colour, wetter and softer when he eats some spinach (not immediately - takes time to go through the intestines).

Last edited: