• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
That is cold. Would you have time before setting off to phone the vets, see what they suggest?
They are closed Monday and sundays so I will call them tomorrow morning when they open to see what they think

Could you place a hot water bottle under a blanket at the bottom of his cage and drape the cage with a blanket to keep in the warmth?
It’s a travel cage so there isn’t much room. I’m afraid 26° is too cold. Saturday it’s supposed to be 57° which is so much more tolerable Maybe they will have an appointment then. I hate to wait but it’s risky bringing him when it’s so cold

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Must be a super small travel cage because a hot water bottle can be as small face cloth and only 1/2 inch thick. Definitely call your vet and see what they advise! I’m with you in spirit!!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Yes, sounds like a call to the vet is warranted. You definitely don't want to make him sicker by taking him when its so cold. As you previously mentioned maybe the vet can run some tests on freshly collected poop.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I decided to take the trip to the vet. He said his physical went well and that the weight loss was just fat and not muscle loss which is good. The vet is sending out the PCR for AGY and said for now the goal is to just keep his weight steady and continue the antibiotics until this Saturday. Will keep you all updated on the results :heart:

Attachments

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
That all sounds really hopeful @CGrillo! Glad the round trip to the vet went well and Luke was not affected with the cold weather. Good luck with your vet determining what's going on and then the proper treatment.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Luke is still so quiet and hasn’t been playing with me or singing much. Do you think he is still stressed from the vet? Or maybe he hates me because I’m still giving him his meds?

he won’t even look at me!

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Being quiet is understandable considering everything he's been put through. Time and patience will heal that.
Poor thing. :heart:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Being quiet is understandable considering everything he's been put through. Time and patience will heal that.
Poor thing. :heart:
I know I feel so bad I really hope he doesn’t have AGY. I’m so sick worried because he looks so beat :([/QUOTE]

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get that. I practice permission-based training with the boys, but at this point I can’t just have them step up from inside their flight cage and place them in the carrier. I have to catch them and put them in their carrier. It seems like each time I improve my relationship with them, I have to break it again. So, sometimes I’m not their favorite person.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Got my fingers crossed that the results come back negative for AGY. He very well could be stressed out by the vet visit and the antibiotics may have him a bit off also.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
I know I feel so bad I really hope he doesn’t have AGY. I’m so sick worried because he looks so beat :(

I have read the intire thred. I Think the poop is a bit watery. Acces drinking can be a sign of illnes and could explain what it may be. It culd allso be a compulsive drinking, and thats not good neether but alot easyer to treat.
Have you mentiond that he drinks ALOT to your vet?
You need to trus youre ability to tacke care of him and not stress out.
Enrofloxacin dont taste so good, the only way i was able to give it to my budgie was to hold her steady. Make sure she swallow i gave some water after and basil afterwards becous she like it.
you can give spinach ;).
Trust youre vet, and trust youre self and if that dont help in lets say sevral months then you shuld panic a bit.
My bird have had a nonspecific illnes the last 9 months.. So i know how you feal!

Last edited:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
oh wow there are so many pages I’m so sorry
:lol:
Yes I told the vet everything. He tested for everything under the sun besides blood work because he doesn’t think it is anything serious enough to risk his life to take blood.

He finished his antibiotic this morning but we are waiting for the AGY PCR test to come back. I tried giving water after but he’s afraid of any liquid I try to give him including water and tea (he thinks it will be medicine) so he prefers to drink it himself out of his dish! Also I don’t know if I mentioned or not but the vet said no more spinach for now bc they say it can cause upset stomach. Poor Luke it’s his favorite treat.

That’s so stressful. what’s going on with your bird? It’s so frustrating not being able to know what’s wrong.[/QUOTE]

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
oh wow there are so many pages I’m so sorry
:lol:
Yes I told the vet everything. He tested for everything under the sun besides blood work because he doesn’t think it is anything serious enough to risk his life to take blood.

He finished his antibiotic this morning but we are waiting for the AGY PCR test to come back. I tried giving water after but he’s afraid of any liquid I try to give him including water and tea (he thinks it will be medicine) so he prefers to drink it himself out of his dish! Also I don’t know if I mentioned or not but the vet said no more spinach for now bc they say it can cause upset stomach. Poor Luke it’s his favorite treat.

That’s so stressful. what’s going on with your bird? It’s so frustrating not being able to know what’s wrong.
[/QUOTE]
This is post:Budgie sick.
Here i describe my birds symptoms and suspicions.

A skilled vet should be able to take blood for blood work.
We have done this twise with our budgie.

Yes non specific illness/findings makes you feal very frustrated.
You need to trust youre self.
Hablo español tambien.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo

Hablo español tambien.
[/QUOTE]

That seems very frustrating for you as well. He said he rather not do it unless he thinks it’s absolutely necessary. I am keeping an eye on him and watching for any changes. He seemed to be in a good mood today.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor

Hablo español tambien.
That seems very frustrating for you as well. He said he rather not do it unless he thinks it’s absolutely necessary. I am keeping an eye on him and watching for any changes. He seemed to be in a good mood today.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I don't mind paying for treatment, but when the treatment don't make any progress and ur bird is still sick I get irriterad. I think we have payed @ lest 1500 USD so fas for 1 bird..
I just want her to be healthy.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Yes, I don't mind paying for treatment, but when the treatment don't make any progress and ur bird is still sick I get irriterad. I think we have payed @ lest 1500 USD so fas for 1 bird..
I just want her to be healthy.
[/QUOTE]
Ugh me too honestly!! I’ve paid at least $1,000 on vet visits alone and we still don’t know what he has. I would do anything for my Luke. A lot of people who don’t have birds don’t seem to understand how important they are to us :heart:

hope your baby gets better too!

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Ugh me too honestly!! I’ve paid at least $1,000 on vet visits alone and we still don’t know what he has. I would do anything for my Luke. A lot of people who don’t have birds don’t seem to understand how important they are to us :heart:

hope your baby gets better too!
Tonight i had the weirdest dream. I dremt i held her inside my jacket to go out and she broke free and escaped. I never had a dream like that, the fealing was strange. Im not a superstitious man but when i woke up she was in a better mood then ever (in a looong time @), she was FULL of energy. I have been researching a lot trying everything beside the medication that dident seem to work. Im starting to think that her illnes is based in malnutrition. I am desperate and tryed everithing. What have helped (seems so) is that i 2 days ago started giving her high doses of vitamin-A (and some other). That and the sinus flushes.
Im so happy and a bit confused. I see a greate improvement just 2 days after starting giving her extra vitamins.

I wish you the best of luck, i have been dealing with my sick budgie (Pastelito is her name, we thought she was a he the breeder told us that so havent changed her name).
My first bird we found outside in cold Sweden, thats how i became in love with birds!

Last edited:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Tonight i had the weirdest dream. I dremt i held her inside my jacket to go out and she broke free and escaped. I never had a dream like that, the fealing was strange. Im not a superstitious man but when i woke up she was in a better mood then ever (in a looong time @), she was FULL of energy. I have been researching a lot trying everything beside the medication that dident seem to work. Im starting to think that her illnes is based in malnutrition. I am desperate and tryed everithing. What have helped (seems so) is that i 2 days ago started giving her high doses of vitamin-A (and some other). That and the sinus flushes.
Im so happy and a bit confused. I see a greate improvement just 2 days after starting giving her extra vitamins.

I wish you the best of luck, i have been dealing with my sick budgie (Pastelito is her name, we thought she was a he the breeder told us that so havent changed her name).
My first bird we found outside in cold Sweden, thats how i became in love with birds!
Thank you:)
I’m started adding vitamins to Luke’s water, the doctor said I can do it once he’s off of the antibiotics I hope there’s a chance they can help him!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
You hadn't posted here on this thread for a bit and I was curious how Luke was doing. Hopefully much better now.