• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Considering what you're doing for him surely 30 minutes of grumps is nothing?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Considering what you're doing for him surely 30 minutes of grumps is nothing?
Omg yes! He screams, cries and tries to roll around in my hand to get loose. Not to mention how I have to chase him each time:wacky:

I just don’t want to make his condition worse because of the stress

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
So about two days ago I was giving luke his meds and he turned his head so quickly as I was dropping it in his mouth and some of it went to the corner of his eye and got some feathers around it wet too. I tried misting him with some water. It started to get a little red now and It seems like it is itchy because he’s always scratching. What do I do :unsure1:

Attachments

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would try to most it a bit more or try to wipe the area off with a soft wet cloth?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I would try to most it a bit more or try to wipe the area off with a soft wet cloth?
I thought of that but I’m afraid to hurt his eye by wiping it since it’s so small and delicate. I bought a bird water fountain that should be coming in this weekend hoping he will get his whole head under it

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
So I spoke with Luke’s vet and said that he is still losing some weight so I will have to bring him in so he can look at where exactly he’s losing fat or is it muscle loss. He wants to just take another look and then we will get the AGY test done when I go as well. I’m so stressed out :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does Luke fly more than he used to? If he's more active now then some weight loss is to be expected.
Good luck at the vet's, I hope you get an answer.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Does Luke fly more than he used to? If he's more active now then some weight loss is to be expected.
Good luck at the vet's, I hope you get an answer.
He does but not much more to make a difference in my opinion. Do you think it could be AGY? I never experienced this so I don’t know what that would look like for him. I just know treatment is difficult

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Can anyone shed light on AGY? It’s now in my head and I’m worried about him potentially having it. after reading about it online it’s making me terrified.

We have our next vet appt on Tuesday and he is on baytril because we couldn’t find anything in his gram stain or giardia test from last visit. He has wet droppings with a little bit of straining I guess? He makes a little noise when he poops and spreads his legs a little bit at times. he has been dropping weight too like I mentioned earlier but began it’s overweight. no food in the droppings at the moment. Seems to be eating,( Food bowl has opened shells) and he attempts to regurgitate to my finger (which he normally does)

he also seems to be opening his wings up and holding them out from his body occasionally. I don’t really know why maybe it’s warm

I’m so worried I know I get ahead of myself but I can’t lose my best friend :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I’m so worried I know I get ahead of myself but I can’t lose my best friend
I know, I know. How many of us have been there at one time or another? No matter what I say right now I don't think it'll really settle your thoughts any (thet's not a bad thing).
What I will say though is keep notes of everything so nothing gets missed at the vet's. And trust the vet - if there is anything going on they are the best trained and equipped to find it.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I can echo what @Ripshod has said. From my reading about budgie illnesses, it seems any type of yeast infection is difficult to eradicate. It may be that Luke has a simple candida infection. I know its difficult not to go to the worse case scenario but hang in there until the vet's appointment. May I suggest that you stop "researching" until then?

Good luck and we're all with you. :hug8:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Luke keeps doing this open wing thing more often than normal. It is not too warm in the house and he will not only do it after I give him his meds but just randomly do it each night before bed and sometimes throughout the day. His feet get warm when he does it.

I would ask the vet but they aren’t opened until Tuesday. What is this?

sorry the picture isn’t the best

Attachments

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My little Buddy dos that every once in a while. I haven't identified if he's excited about something or what. Like you said, it wasn't hot when he did it.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Honest opinion guys. I don’t want to have to bring him to the vet because it’s so cold especially at night And I dont want to risk getting him sick(er). Do you think I could push this visit off a week and see if I could bring in fresh poop samples for the AGY test myself and not bring in Luke Tomorrow?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Honest opinion guys. I don’t want to have to bring him to the vet because it’s so cold especially at night And I dont want to risk getting him sick(er). Do you think I could push this visit off a week and see if I could bring in fresh poop samples for the AGY test myself and not bring in Luke Tomorrow?
If you had a mystery infection would you put it off? You need to keep that appointment - the vet may need to adjust/increase/change the meds.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Truly I agree with @Ripshod and encourage you to keep the appointment. You can heat up the car before you put Luke inside, use a small blanket or a couple of towels around the cage to keep the heat in and if you have a hot water bottle or one of those heat pads you warm up in the microwave you can put that under his cage with a towel on it to help keep him warm.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Thanks everyone i really would like to bring him tomorrow is supposed to be 26° And I don’t know how much the blankets and car heat will keep him warm. He’s on antibiotics so he’s a little weak so this trip worries me

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks everyone i really would like to bring him tomorrow is supposed to be 26° And I don’t know how much the blankets and car heat will keep him warm. He’s on antibiotics so he’s a little weak so this trip worries me
That is cold. Would you have time before setting off to phone the vets, see what they suggest?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you place a hot water bottle under a blanket at the bottom of his cage and drape the cage with a blanket to keep in the warmth?