• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird bubble on back/neck of bird

Talha277

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!

First of all sorry for my english, it's not my first language, but there are no entires about my issue in my mother tongue.
So the breeder told me that i can start bathing my bird at 3 months and since he loves water anyways, i let him shower after I was done taking a shower. After his feathers got wet, i saw a pretty big spot on his back that scared me. It is not visible when his feathers are dry and looks like a bubble with a circle/hole in the middle and is really soft to touch. I will attach a picture. I touched it to see if the bird would react, but it seems that the bird isn't even aware of it or at least it doesnt bother him. Seems to be filled with a mix of liquid and air, probably pus.

I saw it yesterday and monitored him the whole day to look if he is scratching it or anything, but he didnt.

I dont have a lot of financial ressources so taking him to the vet would be really costly and maybe it can be avoided if it is something that will heal on its own. Of course if there is no way around, I will contact a vet.

Maybe someone experienced something like this aswell and can provide me with information, thanks in advance!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is your birds crop. The white stuff is food, the little bubble is a small amount of air.

Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks to be a picture of the birds back. I'm wondering if it could be an abscess.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is the birds back that is mentioned in the OP.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The position of the bird, especially the head tilting down can push the crop and make it visible.

To be sure, don´t feed the bird for a few hours and once the crop empties, look for this again. If the thing has disappeared then it was the crop, if it remains and the crop is empty, then a vet visit will be needed to check it out. I have a strong feeling it is the crop though.

Please do let us know @Talha277

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lapis as a baby leaning her head right forward after eating, you can see the crop is visible at the back,
Screenshot_20200920_013139_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Talha277

thanks a lot for the replies!
I'm not familiar with english technical language. I guess it has something to do with digestion.
Sounds weird to have something like that on it's neck.
The bird is leaning forward a lot in this picture, its actually on its lower neck, not really on the back.
After the bird dried i tried to find the spot and its just where the colors change, so not on the back itself.

It's 2 am right now so I will check in the morning, I'm really worried and will report back if it went away or shrank.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not familiar with english technical language. I guess it has something to do with digestion.
The crop is where the food goes before being digested.
It is more noticeable on younger birds because they fill their crop quite a lot more than an adult would.

It's 2 am right now so I will check in the morning, I'm really worried and will report back if it went away or shrank.
Take a look before feeding the bird in the morning.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Talha277

I was panicked and woke my bird up to take a look cause I couldnt sleep (2:30 am now and I couldnt get rest). It shrinked!! Looks like it really was the crop. Where the white bubble was, there is just skin and almost like a 'hole'.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, case closed :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I knew the crop could be seen on really young chicks from the back in certain positions and such but I did not realise that it could still be seen on older fully feathered chicks.

@Zara the description of the mark that looks almost like a hole??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I knew the crop could be seen on really young chicks from the back in certain positions and such but I did not realise that it could still be seen on older fully feathered chicks.
I think it´s only because the bird was wet and then was leaning. If he hadn´t bathed, OP would likely have not noticed it under all the fluff and feathers. Also, feathers don´t grow on that patch of skin, so coupled with being wet, it really makes it noticable.

@Zara the description of the mark that looks almost like a hole??
It will look a little sunken. Baby birds can look oddly scrawny from above. It´s just the way the skin sits.

Also, the crop emptying so early in the night shouldn´t be a problem as this bird should be eating on their own and able to eat when they are hungry and take care of themself.