• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird breathing thing - Hormonal or need vet check?

PicklesParrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
So pickles does this weird breath thing. Like a quick loud breath out. Kinda a "whooo" sort of sound. Ive seen him do it on occasion when he's being hormonal or playful. But today he seems to be doing it ALOT. He will be 2 in march 2014 so hes about 1 1/2 yrs old right now. I just noticed he was doing it a lot because I had him on the couch next to me. He was being a little hormonal and playful with me and started doing it over and over. Im curious if this behavior is actually a hormonal thing of if he is breathing weird and needs to be seen by an A-vet. I tried to record a couple videos to catch him doing it.

In the first video he does it at: 0:10, 0:31, 0:38, 0:41, 0:46, 0:48, 1:28, and 1:35. Turn the volume all the way up and make sure theres no noise int he house.

In the second video he does it at: 0:03, 0:25, 0:34(i think), and 1:06.

After I recorded this, I put him in his cage and he is playing, snacking, drinking, and I haven't heard it again. I didnt hear it at all today (or didnt notice it) until he flew over to be next to me for a bit. Then it started out slowly and got more frequent. When he was next to me he was doing it a lot more than on the video. I took him with me to the bathroom because the dog was out and I didnt wanna leave him alone with her and he was doing it a lot on his bathroom perch. Then we come back to the living room and hang out and still doing it a lot. Then I decided to record it and you saw that. Then I put him in the cage and haven't heard it at all. He's been in there for about 10 minutes now.

When he started doing it the most frequent, it scared me a bit, thinking maybe he was breathing heavy and something was wrong. He's never done this noise/breath so often. I normally hear it just once in awhile when he's playing next to me. Should I worry about this or chalk it up to hormones? I feel like a new mom, running to the doctor with every little sneeze. It's so hard to decipher sometimes when it's an emergency and when it's not with birds. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I'm grateful for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im not sure, seems like a reaction to you,while playing..just keep an eye on him, however he looks and seems to being fine. Only you know him. He is lovely!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I didn't really hear anything on the video??? He also doesn't look sick to me. :)

crazy4fids

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
Our 30 year foster bf amazon makes an unusual huffing sound. We call it hissing because the only time she does it, is when I am around and she is with my husband (she doesn't like me). She breathes out heavily through her nostrils. This behavior is usually seen with a flared tail and the feathers on the back of her neck stand up. When she is with my husband and is doing this, I will normally avoid eye contact with her. I am afraid that she will bite my husband. He seems to think that she would never attack him or hurt him, in spite of me telling him otherwise.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Our 30 year foster bf amazon makes an unusual huffing sound. We call it hissing because the only time she does it, is when I am around and she is with my husband (she doesn't like me). She breathes out heavily through her nostrils. This behavior is usually seen with a flared tail and the feathers on the back of her neck stand up. When she is with my husband and is doing this, I will normally avoid eye contact with her. I am afraid that she will bite my husband. He seems to think that she would never attack him or hurt him, in spite of me telling him otherwise.
That's normal for an excited amazon. Yes, they make this audible air puff through their nares.

Sorry, I don't know about Ekkies, but he does appear healthy to me.

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
Could he be mimicking a sound he hears? Roca does a loud breath like that, sounds like a 'phfffff.' I had a heart attack when I first heard it, but I realized she's mimicking the sound of me sniffing. It was allergy season and I did it a lot. Now we like to phfffff back and forth at each other!

Maybe Pickles is picking up on you sniffing, or a similar household sound?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm also not hearing anything abnormal, as long as he is acting normally and doesn't have any discharge then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper (GW macaw) hisses at me sometimes and it sounds similar to what Pickles is doing. Like the others have said he appears to be healthy and active. I'd just keep an eye on him - which I'm sure you already do. If he starts drooping his wings and mouth breathing you have a problem.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ekkies are are known to make Ohhhhhs and Ahhhhhs. They sigh a lot.