• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird bird behavior

EcoNBeBop

Checking out the neighborhood
My green cheek conure, Eco, is 5 years old. I got him when he was 6 months old and for a long time he really liked to be with me. Now though, that's all changed. He's scared of basically everything and everyone, including me. He still likes to be with me sometimes, but only at certain times, specifically the evening, idk why. He ends up spending most of each day sitting on the little play area on top of his cage. The weirdest part is that he isn't exhibiting any of the classic signs of a stressed, depressed or lonely bird. He's never plucked his feathers, and doesn't puff up or act aggressive when people are near him.

I don't know what's caused it either. I've never done anything to hurt him (besides accidentally pinching a pin feather while giving him head rubs). The only thing I can think of is that I moved him to a different part of the house about a year ago. I really don't think that's the cause however, because over the past six months the problem's seemed to get worse, not better.

I love my boi to bits and I want him back, so if anyone has any idea what's going on or how to help it please please let me know.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Have you thought about putting his cage back in its original spot just to see if it makes a difference?

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
My green cheek conure, Eco, is 5 years old. I got him when he was 6 months old and for a long time he really liked to be with me. Now though, that's all changed. He's scared of basically everything and everyone, including me. He still likes to be with me sometimes, but only at certain times, specifically the evening, idk why. He ends up spending most of each day sitting on the little play area on top of his cage. The weirdest part is that he isn't exhibiting any of the classic signs of a stressed, depressed or lonely bird. He's never plucked his feathers, and doesn't puff up or act aggressive when people are near him.

I don't know what's caused it either. I've never done anything to hurt him (besides accidentally pinching a pin feather while giving him head rubs). The only thing I can think of is that I moved him to a different part of the house about a year ago. I really don't think that's the cause however, because over the past six months the problem's seemed to get worse, not better.

I love my boi to bits and I want him back, so if anyone has any idea what's going on or how to help it please please let me know.
Do you think he may be sick? Something bothering him physically maybe, but you know him best!

EcoNBeBop

Do you think he may be sick? Something bothering him physically maybe, but you know him best!
He certainly doesn't seem sick. He's got a healthy coat of feathers, and while he doesn't like to leave his favorite area, he's not acting lethargic (i.e. sitting puffed up and still in a corner all day, not eating, drinking, etc.)

EcoNBeBop

Have you thought about putting his cage back in its original spot just to see if it makes a difference?
I haven't really, mostly because I'm almost certain that's not the issue, for reasons I mentioned. Might need to consider that though.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hey
@Pixiebeak any ideas

do you still interact with same way you use to ? I don’t mean that bad hope it doesn’t sound bad but as he just learnt to entertain himself I know life gets busy

maybe over doing the treats and good bird praise
Try getting him to step up for treats maybe try target training or recall

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi ,
It always good to rule out health issues when a sudden behavior change or decreased activity. Birds huge being sick , until they are so sick they cann not ..a fluffed not eating bird is critically ill sbd often 48 hours or less from death .
A good tool to help determine health is regular weight checks , a digital kitchen scale works wonderfully and is cheap . I try and weigh mine about every 2 weeks , daily if I think something is off. Most birds with a health issue will start dropping weight , and you can pick up before other symptoms. Tho not always will they loose weight if it's rapid , and other r reasons.. but it is an excellent way to help monitor.
Being a poop watcher is also helpful. Do not evaluate the first morning poop, as they often look weird and have bilirubin from fasting and holding poop over night.
Evaluating fresh poops during the day , is their a good volume of fecal matter , creamy urates , and only a small amount of liquid urine thst is clear is the standard for many species.

If this is just behavior, anything can have happened to break trust , both known and unknown. I have certainly had this happen for both reasons! Right now I'm currently trying to earn back trust that I completely caused by chasing my green cheek around to return to cage .

If unknown, I try and evaluate the cage,the set up , the diet, the surrounding area , and our daily routine.

Is your bird clipped or flighted ?

If clipped , consider letting him become flighted. We can help with that transition just let us know.
If clipped , provide more ways for self directed behavior, well really this applies if flighted as well. Provide many perches on the outside of cage , connected walkways , hanging perches above cage and dime other parrot hangouts furniture elsewhere. Provide a side shallow dish fur self choice bath daily, I have used serving dishes, class casserole dishes , or larger ceramic dishes made for larger pets. Only about 1-2 inches of water seems preferred for our size birds.

Evaluate toys , GCC prefer easier to chomp and destroy materials. Create foraging fun ! @Emma&pico has do many fun examples she better share !

Get to offering veggies! Dint gir r or starve to eat them . Provide them in many different ways many different kinds expect waste and time before they discover they love them! In the meantime they def enrichment anyway ;) bell peppers, especially yellow and orange are taken to by many and great source of vitamin A! Any peppers! Even hit ones are great ! Carrots, sweet potato, leafy greens Swiss Chard, mine love rainbow and eat the stalks too. Fruit only about ten percent of daily intake. Grapes only as rare treat . Instead choose blueberries, blackberries, raspberry, mango , pomegranate, strawberry, plums and cherries ( no pits )

Think of this as a life overhaul. All these factors impact behaviors.

And earn back trust , bribes are your friend here! A million hend d out seeds like safflower ( GCC crack) I use popcorn, and other things as well. What ever yours loves. Going up say hi hand treat walk away , like fifty times a day ! Treats to target train. I do a lot of lure , like I show treat and tsp a pet h and ask vine here sweetie! Very near to them at first , like an inch or two then as they get the hang of it I move farther away , until eventually I can move them all over going after those treats.

Be predictable, hav routine ( doesn't have to be rigid)
If only comfort in his spot, work slowly to build his confidence farther from that spot . Like I might have them step up , bring them up to say hi treat and set back down in their spot. Then after a few times of that , I might take 2 steps away give treat and praise them go and set them back in their spot . You gonat their comfort, and keep expanding. At dime point I have the comfortable enough I can set them at a secondary perch area within view of their home spot , and start getting them comfortable st hanging out there. Like taking them to thst perch step off and step back and treat and bs k to home base. Then longer st new perch are sbd bs k to home base

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry @Pixiebeak i saw this on school run and forgot to reply I can get some pictures tomos birdies are in bed now

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma