• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird behavior

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
My budgies constantly fight as in squawking angrily, flapping wings, pushing, biting feet. Then they contact call even when they can see each other then the fighting starts again. Later they preen each other and the fighting starts again. Please help me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is their cage too small? Do they each have their own food bowl, placed away from the other? Maybe they need to be separated for a while and only have out of cage time together. Were they in the same cage before you got them?

Aves

Is their cage too small? Do they each have their own food bowl, placed away from the other? Maybe they need to be separated for a while and only have out of cage time together. Were they in the same cage before you got them?
Yes their cage is too small, but I am waiting to upgrade. And separating isn't an option because the only other cage is the travel cage. They don't have separate food bowls but I will try to get some. Yes they were in the same cage.

Aves

Sounds like the time has come for the upgrade. Flight cages are not all that expensive any more. How man budgies are in the current cage? They can be quite territorial at times, especially the females.
Two budgies. They are still young.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would order a new cage today, and in the meantime separate them. If the travel cage is tiny, would some sort of a divider in their current cage be bigger? Extra food bowls might help temporarily, but you would need to get them right now.

Aves

Ok thanks everybody. @Staff can this thread be locked please? Oh and I'm going to build a simple indoor aviary once I can buy the supplies.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Ok thanks everybody. @Staff can this thread be locked please? Oh and I'm going to build a simple indoor aviary once I can buy the supplies.
I’m sure they will end up being very happy and spoiled once everything is figured out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are specific reasons threads get locked @Aves and this one does not need to be locked so it will stay open. They don’t get locked simply because you want them locked. Hope this helps for the future.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Extra food bowls might help temporarily, but you would need to get them right now.
You could use ramekins and place them on the cage floor if you´re in a pinch.

You know I have to feed my true bonded lovebird pair vegetables separately, so one bowl is on the lower corner on one side, and the other bowl in the upper other side corner. They don´t eat fresh foods well together.
As for my other pairs, I give them rabbit dishes (12cm bowls) for veggies so they have space from each other but still benefit from eating together.
They are all fine eating seed and pellets from the same smaller bowls, but they love veggies so much that they can bicker over them.

Aves

There are specific reasons threads get locked @Aves and this one does not need to be locked so it will stay open. They don’t get locked simply because you want them locked. Hope this helps for the future.
Thank you good to know.
You could use ramekins and place them on the cage floor if you´re in a pinch.

You know I have to feed my true bonded lovebird pair vegetables separately, so one bowl is on the lower corner on one side, and the other bowl in the upper other side corner. They don´t eat fresh foods well together.
As for my other pairs, I give them rabbit dishes (12cm bowls) for veggies so they have space from each other but still benefit from eating together.
They are all fine eating seed and pellets from the same smaller bowls, but they love veggies so much that they can bicker over them.
For a temporary fix I put a paper towel in and spread seeds on it. Thank you!