• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird behavior while preening each other

tulipfield

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Hey, almost two weeks ago I got two lutino tiels (male and female) and they are already close to each other, my main concern is when they're "preening" each other, is not like the regular preening behavior but to me it looks like they're about to mate or something, they start rubbing their necks and sometimes their backs reaaally slow, and also they both make some weird "budgie-like" sounds. So yeah I was wondering if this is normal, should I let them do it? I really don't want her to lay eggs or something else since they're both pretty young, thanks for any advice (and sorry for the bad english haha)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If their young it’s best to try to discourage the behaviour.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Toys, foraging opportunities, environment changes, out of cage time, two weeks of 14 hours of sleep, perch / cage rearrangement, movement of cage every three days. If nothing works, and egg laying happens, replace laid eggs with dummy eggs to prevent incubation (chicks).

Gigibirds

Yes, rearrange their cage A LOT and do NOT give them any nest-like place. (your English actually really good - don't worry about it!)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
The budgie like sounds are most likely fast paced hormonal female chirps. Are you sure one is a male? How do you know, since they are young? Do you know their parents mutations? Do you think they are siblings? If they are siblings, and do lay eggs, always prevent incubation so no suffering can occur ( inbred babies ). Until you get dummy cockatiel eggs you can boil , cool and return their eggs , just for future reference.

Last edited:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Also, mating doesn't always mean they're going to lay eggs immediately. It's fine and natural for them to mate if they're a bonded pair, but it's just the egg-laying and nesting that you want to discourage. If you keep them busy and stimulated with toys and flying options, you should be all set!