• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird article

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure who wrote that article and I’m not keen to read more than I already have- it’s rather confusing… says to feed sparingly but then goes on to say a conure can have 1/2 a sweet potato (or was it a whole one?) which I don’t even give to my macaw as it’s more food than he would eat in one meal! Says sweet potato is great for health then says it’s bad- I personally can’t keep up.

I feed cooked sweet potato every other day, probably 4-5 days out of 7 and Burt will usually eat quite a bit- that article is the first time I’ve actually heard any negatives about feeding sweet potatoes

@Mizzely is going to be your most helpful poster in this thread.

Winn

Jogging around the block
The article is self-contradictory on many points. Based on that alone, I would reject it in its entirety and look for additional sources of information in regard to the safety of sweet potatoes for parrots.
It sounds to me like the author is trying to say something without saying anything.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sweet potatoes do contain trypsin inhibitors that make it harder to digest when raw.

I always offer them slightly cooked, because beta carotene (the precursor to Vitamin A) is easier to absorb.

"Beta-carotene is not a heat-sensitive nutrient, therefore, it is not destroyed with a short cooking time; actually, when this vegetable is cooked, the cell walls of the plant tissues soften, making it easier for our digestive system to assimilate this precious substance. Basically, a short cooking time increases the assimilation of beta-carotene. But you shouldn’t cook the root too much: it should remain compact and crunchy."

These are about carrots but I can't find the sweet potato ones

So inhibitor aside the main reason to cook sweet potatoes is to make the beta carotene more bioavailable :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, I'm not sure I agree about the high glycemic index. They are higher in fiber which helps prevent a blood sugar spike.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Sweet potatoes do contain trypsin inhibitors that make it harder to digest when raw.

I always offer them slightly cooked, because beta carotene (the precursor to Vitamin A) is easier to absorb.

"Beta-carotene is not a heat-sensitive nutrient, therefore, it is not destroyed with a short cooking time; actually, when this vegetable is cooked, the cell walls of the plant tissues soften, making it easier for our digestive system to assimilate this precious substance. Basically, a short cooking time increases the assimilation of beta-carotene. But you shouldn’t cook the root too much: it should remain compact and crunchy."

These are about carrots but I can't find the sweet potato ones

So inhibitor aside the main reason to cook sweet potatoes is to make the beta carotene more bioavailable :)

Beta carotene is better absorbed by the body in the presence of fat so make sure you put a little real butter or coconut oil on that sweet potato :)
Carotenoid bioavailability is higher from salads ingested with full-fat than with fat-reduced salad dressings as measured with electrochemical detection

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Also, I'm not sure I agree about the high glycemic index. They are higher in fiber which helps prevent a blood sugar spike.

Depending on how it is cooked the glycemic index is different, weird I know but that is what has been said. It falls into the medium range on the charts that I have. Yes and it has fiber on its side :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Beta carotene is better absorbed by the body in the presence of fat so make sure you put a little real butter or coconut oil on that sweet potato :)
Carotenoid bioavailability is higher from salads ingested with full-fat than with fat-reduced salad dressings as measured with electrochemical detection
Good to know! My Jardines is so picky but loves almonds and walnuts so I hide them in the sweet potato so he has to dig them out and accidentally eat the potato too :lol: So that can be his fat source :)