• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weight

melissa68

Walking the driveway
So, Henry is now between 6.5-8 months old. When I got him he weighed 73 grams. He's now up to the fighting weight of...77 grams.

He's been to the vet and got a clean bill of health. He's out of his cage all day, every day because I'm home. Nothing seems to faze this bird...I should have named him trooper! He handled our long distance move with nary a peep. He's grown four new flight feathers and two new tail feathers (he lost all his tail feathers when hubs stepped on them. I'm not sure if he dropped them or if it was trauma).

He knows; Addams Family, Fur elise, Andy Griffith (though that isn't his favorite).

All of his food is available to him at all times; Goldenfeast Australian blend seed and my homemade pellet/chop/birdy bread mix. He also gets "snacks" of things like; oatnut bread, cilantro stems, romain lettuce, apples, spinach stem, banana, raisins, nutriberries, cheeries, rice cakes.

Shouldn't he be gaining weight? If he should what can I feed him to help him put on some weight.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's otherwise healthy, I'd say not to worry about it! If he hasnt' been flying, but he's growing in flight feathers, that can actually help to put on some weight as he gains muscles! ;)

melissa68

Walking the driveway
well, I did bring him to the vet. with the big move I needed to get established with one anyway.

turns out my little boy is a little shrimp! lol he's well muscled and a good weight for his size.

he was the smallest in the cage where I got him and I picked him because I was pretty sure he was a boy but I even said to the lady; "boy, he's the scrawniest looking one isn't he?" lol.

the vet sufficiently stroked my ego with the; "ohhh's, aahhh's, he's so well behaved, well adjusted, friendly" etc lol. he is such a trooper. stepped right up on the scale for them, on their finger, sat on the vets shoulder. just well adjusted I guess. made me a proud mommy

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay. Cockatiel weight can vary a lot depending on the size of the tiel. Typically, I think the range is about 80-100 grams . However, my tiel Sunny only weighed 73-74 grams. He was just little. But the vet said that weight was fine for him. I suspect my foster tiel Rosie probably is in the 70s too. I haven't weighed him yet but that's my guess.