• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weight

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
a digital kitchen one
Are you weighing them at the same time every time you weigh them ? That's really the only way to get a accurate baseline.
My Female Toos weight is 425 grams. My Male is 318 grams give or take a couple grams. Isabelle is a big girl .Bentley has always been a light eater and smaller body frame. I think as in all life forms the females tend to over eat.
:joyful:
Research what the normal range is for Budgies.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you weighing them at the same time every time you weigh them ? That's really the only way to get a accurate baseline.
My Female Toos weight is 425 grams. My Male is 318 grams give or take a couple grams. Isabelle is a big girl .Bentley has always been a light eater and smaller body frame. I think as in all life forms the females tend to over eat.
:joyful:
Research what the normal range is for Budgies.
I do. Always Saturday morning after breakfast and shower and Merlin has had the same since I have him. Nova has been checked much less but she has also been stable. They are in the normal weight range for budgies, but their weight changed this time.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I do. Always Saturday morning after breakfast and shower and Merlin has had the same since I have him. Nova has been checked much less but she has also been stable. They are in the normal weight range for budgies, but their weight changed this time.
I noticed mine fluctuate during change of seasons , or after molt, don't worry to much unless it's drastic.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I noticed mine fluctuate during change of seasons , or after molt, don't that worry to much unless it's drastic.
I don't worry, just asking. But season change is definitely something we can notice just now. I've been trying to stay awake all day, and most of my colleagues and friends are in the same state... :sleepsign:
Just now that the time is 23.00, am I full awake :rolleyes1:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hmm... There was suddenly a whole bunch of Nova's fluff and feathers at the bottom of the cage... Hoping for a new molt, although I feel she is molting every other week, but it is still better than an attempt at making a nest :unsure1:

Dorcas George

Could be the explanation? Was thinking about you and birds today, looking at how small Packet is. Frost in tiny, but he's a baby. Anyway, hoping it's all nothing concerning. I'm impressed that you weigh them weekly!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Could be the explanation? Was thinking about you and birds today, looking at how small Packet is. Frost in tiny, but he's a baby. Anyway, hoping it's all nothing concerning. I'm impressed that you weigh them weekly!
Could it be that you are used to English budgies? Packer seems to be completely normal to me, and not especially small, but weigh him so you'll be sure. I really hope Nova is just in a new round with molting and not thinking of eggs... But I find it strange she is molting so often while Merlin isn't..

Dorcas George

I am comparing Packer to the other buddies I've been seeing in my hunt for a second bird. And last week I went to the store he came from to get fish food. My daughtwr, who purchased Packe r and Breeze, was with me. We stopped to look at the budgies, and both noticed that all of them except a couple of babies were noticeably bigger than Packer. I'll let you know what he weighs when I know.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
@Gribouille when you say you hope she is molting and you hope she isn't thinking of eggs do you mean she is using her feathers to make a nest? It is very possible for one bird to molt much more than another. Is she shredding things and accumulating them at the bottom of the cage?
@Dorcas George , I thought the same as @Gribouille , I don't think either Packer or Frost seemed particularly small. Sam seems the same size. Could they be English budgies you saw?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gribouille when you say you hope she is molting and you hope she isn't thinking of eggs do you mean she is using her feathers to make a nest? It is very possible for one bird to molt much more than another. Is she shredding things and accumulating them at the bottom of the cage?
yesterday I had given then a dish with seeds under wood shaving for some foraging, so when i came home, this was everywhere at the bottom of the cage with a lot of feathers, especially in one of the corners, but it could have been blown there when they fly in and out. Today they don't have the shaving and there is only feathers, less than yesterday though. So we'll see tomorrow, it is shower- and weighing day...

Dorcas George

Well, it was only by comparison with others. And Frost still has bars on head so bound to get some bigger. I am pretty sure I’ve never seen an English budgie, except pictures.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Well, it was only by comparison with others. And Frost still has bars on head so bound to get some bigger. I am pretty sure I’ve never seen an English budgie, except pictures.
English budgies are considerably (maybe 20 percent) bigger and have bigger heads (or seem to with fluffier feathers). I got Sam at 6 weeks and she is really no bigger. She can look much bigger with her feathers all fluffed up but when she slicks them down she is no bigger. She is louder....but no bigger...lol. Right now we are going through her 1 hour of morning "flock calling" which my husband so endearingly calls the "screaming neeps". We are expected to answer...repeatedly.....

Dorcas George

Frost was the smallest bird in a cage full of very young birdies. So might not grow more? I took Packer in the other room for some flying and the two of them called madly as he was rolling away. He mostly sat. Tiny bit of flight. But I don’t want to hijack a thread about others. More later in the other one. Wishing the best for Nova.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Baby birds don't get bigger in size when they mature. English budgies can actually look very much like Australian ones, their head is not necessarily that fluffy but the size is definitely giving them away!

upload_2019-10-25_18-59-3.jpeg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Well they are most definitely bonded, that's so sweet.
They don't have much choice, there is only Pichu apart from them... They both try to get friend with him, but although he accepts them closer, friendly is not really describing him yet :D I don't think they really love each other though :depressed:. They make do..