• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weight

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's been some time since I checked my budgies weight, maybe 4-5 weeks. Merlin has always hold himself around 42g, but today he was only 40g.
However, Nova was around 38g and she is 44g today!! She just had a good shower so I'll have to check again when she is dry, but from the constant bickering I hear from them, I still suspect she could be hindering Merlin's access to food and eat herself fat... They have free access to food and there is always some left in the morning. Food dishes are spread around but of course if Merlin eats one place that's exactly where she wants to eat.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it’s affecting one birds health then I totally agree that it’s not a good situation.

I have multiple areas where my two can eat so I know that Squeak is able to get a decent feed.

Funny thing is that Pip only does this with the three main seed and pellet dishes. All sprouts, grasses, fresh veg and Millet sprays are always happily shared though.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If it’s affecting one birds health then I totally agree that it’s not a good situation.

I have multiple areas where my two can eat so I know that Squeak is able to get a decent feed.

Funny thing is that Pip only does this with the three main seed and pellet dishes. All sprouts, grasses, fresh veg and Millet sprays are always happily shared though.
I know Merlin eats too but obviously he's gone down in weigh. Not panicking here but I'll have to keep an eye on them and weigh them again tomorrow. The thing is that Merlin is such a guy, he does eat vegetables now that he sees Nova eating them but he is not going there first... unless I had a seed-topping on them!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
In budgie land the females are boss, even when it comes to food. Weight in the 40 gm. neighborhood is good for any gender of budgie.
It is, but when he has been 42g all along, it is a change. same with Nova gaining 6g, that's quite much. I'll keep an eye on them and reweigh them more often

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The thing is that Merlin is such a guy, he does eat vegetables now that he sees Nova eating them but he is not going there first... unless I had a seed-topping on them!

Well my gosh, SURELY you could not forget to put the millet garnish on those veggies could ya???:rofl:;):rofl:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Well my gosh, SURELY you could not forget to put the millet garnish on those veggies could ya???:rofl:;):rofl:
I don't forget, I do it on purpose :sneaky: They get some spouted seeds UNDER the chopped veggies for breakfast, otherwise, no seeds before tea time in this house ;)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I wonder just how much seed he is eating? Could it be possible that he is eating more veg and sprouts and not so much seed/pellet because it is a chore to get to the dish..lol?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wonder just how much seed he is eating? Could it be possible that he is eating more veg and sprouts and not so much seed/pellet because it is a chore to get to the dish..lol?
I don't think he is eating too much veggies... No risk, he doesn't like them! I think he eats some "by accident" while eating seeds. I mostly see him eating pellets, but I've been thinking that maybe he just hadn't eaten his breakfast yet this morning? I'll try again tomorrow morning and see

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My female lovebird was up about 7g right before she layed an egg. So could be a possibility?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My female lovebird was up about 7g right before she layed an egg. So could be a possibility?
I sure hope not!! :wideyed: They never displayed courting behavior and have nothing resembling a nest... but she has had a brown ceres since May, and as we know, they don't always ask for permission before having an egg or two...

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird is a single bird, she layed 5 :eek: Different species of course, just my first thought. I was so nervous for her and she wanted nothing to do with me, so I was missing her company. She sat for a month (with daily exercise.)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My lovebird is a single bird, she layed 5 :eek: Different species of course, just my first thought. I was so nervous for her and she wanted nothing to do with me, so I was missing her company. She sat for a month (with daily exercise.)
I have the impression that single birds are at a higher risk to be chronic layers than bonded ones... :chin: Anyway, I'll know soon enough... She was 43g this morning, Merlin is still at 40g. So she got up 5g and he went down 2g, she definitely eats more than he is allowed...

Well, I hope nothing is amiss with Merlin. How do you weigh them?
I'll keep weighing them each week now. They are not tame so I can not just get them to step on the kitchen scale like Pichu does. I have a little cage I use to transport them from one cage to the other or to shower. I weigh both in the cage, remove Merlin, weigh Nova in the cage, remove Nova, weigh the cage. They shower in Saturdays so this morning I just took Merlin on the scale (in the cage), released him, then Nova.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Molting can impact weight too. If they dropped a few feathers or grew several new ones in it can change several grams. :)

Keep weighing them, as you are. I hope you don't have any eggs this season, but there are management strategies if it comes to that.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Molting can impact weight too. If they dropped a few feathers or grew several new ones in it can change several grams. :)

Keep weighing them, as you are. I hope you don't have any eggs this season, but there are management strategies if it comes to that.
They are done with molting, had a long one until 2-3 weeks ago. Might be why she was only 38g, I didn't check for a while now. Anyway, nothing I can do but keep an eye on them...