• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Weight Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockatiel_lover

Meeting neighbors
I have a 8 month old tiel that is around 122g. Since I last weighed him I cut down how often I am feeding him thinking that may be the issue. He is very hyper hence why I started feeding him more but the fact that he weighs so much is making me nervous. The last time he saw the vet he was 4 months old (he had a respiratory infection caused by a Vitamin A deficiency) and the vet weighed him and didn't say anything was wrong with it. I have noticed he tends to drink a lot of water; about 6 to 7 sips at a time about 4 times a day (not sure if that has anything to do with it but doesn't hurt to mention it). I've also noticed he hides food in his toys to snack on :rolleyes:. I've always called him 'my lil piggie' because he's always eating. Should I be concerned to the point I should get him to a vet asap or wait and see if cutting down on so many feeding works first?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I do not think cutting down on a bird's food is the answer..If you are feeding him healthy foods then there should be no worries. 122 grams is a pretty big tiel but we have a tiel that weighs 133 grams and the vet says she is normal and healthy.. Feel his keel bone. If he does not appear fat, then leave him be. I w ould be more worried about the water drinking...sometimes excessive drinking can be caused by liver disease. As for the food, do not cut down on his food. Unless he is fat, there is no reason to cut down.. OUr birds are constantly eating as well. Tiels do that..they are foragers b y nature.

cockatiel_lover

Meeting neighbors
I've felt his keel bone and he does feel a little pudgy and when he is on me I can feel how heavy he is. Unfortunately he is a VERY picky eater so his diet, for the most part, are seeds and pellets. I try to offer him different fruits and vegetables all the time and he refuses to eat them. He will take a little taste, shake his head no and walk away from me. I've even tried making birdie bread and he won't even eat that.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I've felt his keel bone and he does feel a little pudgy and when he is on me I can feel how heavy he is. Unfortunately he is a VERY picky eater so his diet, for the most part, are seeds and pellets. I try to offer him different fruits and vegetables all the time and he refuses to eat them. He will take a little taste, shake his head no and walk away from me. I've even tried making birdie bread and he won't even eat that.
give up on the fruits, tiels are not big on fruit...keep trying with the veggies, finely chopped...our big tiel Princess Mitch, will not eat veggies, so I hide them finely chopped in mashed potatoes and eggs...

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I would suggest you sprout your seedmix. Sprouted seeds are much lower in fat, and have many phytonutrients/ trace minerals because they're *alive*. :)

cockatiel_lover

Meeting neighbors
give up on the fruits, tiels are not big on fruit...keep trying with the veggies, finely chopped...our big tiel Princess Mitch, will not eat veggies, so I hide them finely chopped in mashed potatoes and eggs...
Bubba has not been fooled. Made him an egg with spinach in it. He loved the egg but once he found the spinach he refused to eat any more of it. Should I try baby food to get him used to the taste? I feel at such a loss of where to go from here. My other bird wasn't this picky. :confused:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
My tiel was hit and miss with F&V. As my IRN was weaned straight onto pellets and F&V (thank you breeder), I now make up a batch that will last for 2-3days. I just put a little of everything (in the batch) into his fresh food bowl and leave it there. I have seen him constantly tasting different foods. I am not saying he eats it all BUT h does nibble it. When I first got him - fruit and veg were evil as far as he was concerned. I have had him since end Nov 2011, so this is/ will be a long process. Some convert easily, others resist. Rhyly loves corn, so he alsways get a couple of microwaved, then cooled, frzn corn kernels in his. Also texture/presentation plays a part. Rhyly loves "softer" foods. (Kai loves his crunchy- apple, celery, carrot etc, so basically not cooked. Oak is a little yellow piggie and will eat anything and everything, regardless of how it is prepped) Rhyly will also try more if I sit next to him and pop a little of what he sees me eating, into his food bowl. Also some wont eat warm food, has to be cold. it really is trial and error. Just try giving in different ways, but do provide fresh food every day so he gets "used" to them in his food bowl. You could also try putting a few seeds on the bottom of bowl and put the fresh food on top, he will then have to work hard - forage - for his seeds and bound to get a little of the F&V (This is how I converted the budgies - stubborn little birdies) From my experience, different things work for different birds.

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Not an expert by any means, but tiels weights can really vary quite a bit. Our teil "Baby" is so small that anyone new to our home, thinks he is a baby.
I would never recommend taking away good food.
Exercise can help if you think his keel bone feels "Pudgy". All of mine get flying exercise along with some other training.
Flying really burns calories.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.