• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

weight gain?

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
My 22-month-old caique has suddenly put on 10g (since the last time I weighed her, about a month ago). She always floated between 154-156 grams for the last 12 months that I've had her, and now suddenly she is up to 166. I took her to the vet today, who said that she looks very healthy and that it's possible she's just been eating more. She said she couldn't feel an egg. She said I should just keep an eye on things for now.

My bird has a pretty active lifestyle, flying around my apartment relatively freely, and a large cage that she climbs around in. Nothing about that has changed recently. Since the quarantine I think it's possible that I've been giving her more starchy snacks (primarily unsalted homemade popcorn and small amounts of rolled oats), since I'm around the house all the time now and I just see her more and think to give her snacks.

This is in addition to her usual diet of pellets, veggies (usually a whole carrot and a few edamame beans daily, and maybe a couple pieces of celery, bell peppers, and/or corn niblets) and small amounts of fruit (usually 1 serving daily with a serving being approximately 1/2 of a strawberry, 1 blackberry, or a sliver of apple). So, I'm planning to cut down on the starchy snacks.

Still, I guess I'm slightly worried... has a sudden weight increased happened to anyone's birds?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump8:

Ewk

Checking out the neighborhood
My nearly 32 year old black-headed caique's weight tends to vary seasonally with summer being a high weight time. Her weight varies between 155-165 gm (winter) and 175-180 gm (summer). I weigh her in the morning immediately after her large morning dropping. During the day, her weight can vary by perhaps 6 gm depending on how much she has eaten. I feel the early morning weight before eating is the most reliable.

My 22-month-old caique has suddenly put on 10g (since the last time I weighed her, about a month ago). She always floated between 154-156 grams for the last 12 months that I've had her, and now suddenly she is up to 166. I took her to the vet today, who said that she looks very healthy and that it's possible she's just been eating more. She said she couldn't feel an egg. She said I should just keep an eye on things for now.

My bird has a pretty active lifestyle, flying around my apartment relatively freely, and a large cage that she climbs around in. Nothing about that has changed recently. Since the quarantine I think it's possible that I've been giving her more starchy snacks (primarily unsalted homemade popcorn and small amounts of rolled oats), since I'm around the house all the time now and I just see her more and think to give her snacks.

This is in addition to her usual diet of pellets, veggies (usually a whole carrot and a few edamame beans daily, and maybe a couple pieces of celery, bell peppers, and/or corn niblets) and small amounts of fruit (usually 1 serving daily with a serving being approximately 1/2 of a strawberry, 1 blackberry, or a sliver of apple). So, I'm planning to cut down on the starchy snacks.

Still, I guess I'm slightly worried... has a sudden weight increased happened to anyone's birds?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I feed mine liberally and never weigh them because they fly around everywhere all day