• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weight drop

Babycaique

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tanya
I have a 13 week old Caique that just quit hand feeding the past two days and dropped from 145 to 125.5 in weight… is this ok? I know they drop when they go on there own but is that too much of a drop??
Thanks!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tag @Laurie and @Irishj9 I know they breed Caiques. @BrianB Is also a breeder and may know if that's too much or not.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like a lot but keep an eye on it. If it goes much lower then I would get a vet appointment scheduled. Usually it drops and then starts to go back up as they burn off baby fat and replace it with muscle. It drops faster than it increases but should level out.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is within the standard weight drop range when a baby parrot fledges, although it is close to the high end of 15% (10% is usually what you look for).

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
It seems like a lot but keep an eye on it. If it goes much lower then I would get a vet appointment scheduled. Usually it drops and then starts to go back up as they burn off baby fat and replace it with muscle. It drops faster than it increases but should level out.
Ok thank you so much. I will keep an eye out and make sure she don’t drop much more. She is eating on her own, what seems like a good amount, and experimenting with fresh fruits/veggies/etc…. I’m hoping she is ok and just playing off some weight lol

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
That is within the standard weight drop range when a baby parrot fledges, although it is close to the high end of 15% (10% is usually what you look for).
Ok great! Thank you so much. I will def keep a watch on it.

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
Ok thank you so much. I will keep an eye out and make sure she don’t drop much more. She is eating on her own, what seems like a good amount, and experimenting with fresh fruits/veggies/etc…. I’m hoping she is ok and just playing off some weight lol
She loves to play by her self which I love her being independent. Everyone tells me she needs SO much attention but she seems fine…. And I have heard they are bad biters. So far she is not getting bitey but she is only 14 weeks this week so I guess still to young to know. What is your opinion on playing/handling them and the bitey info?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Mine don't usually drop that much but as others said keep and eye on her. How much and how often was she eating before you quite handfeeding. I wait until they are mostly refusing food at all feedings and not begging when they see me before I stop. 13 weeks is definitely about the right age but some birds take longer. If she is not eating formula when offered then she is probably eating on her own, just make sure she levels off or there could be other issues.

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
thanks so much again for your info about weight…. What about runny poop…. She has yet to form any solid poop. It’s just green runny poop. I use puppy pads in the bottom of the tray and it is just soaking it up like water. And it’s bright olive green like the color of peas?? Should I be worried, go to vet? Or do you think it will firm up??

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
thanks for the help with the weight… now what about runny poop…
She has never formed solid poop. It’s pea green and runny. I have puppy pads on the bottom and they soak it up like water. Is this something to worry about? Vet?? Or do you think it will firm up??

Mine don't usually drop that much but as others said keep and eye on her. How much and how often was she eating before you quite handfeeding. I wait until they are mostly refusing food at all feedings and not begging when they see me before I stop. 13 weeks is definitely about the right age but some birds take longer. If she is not eating formula when offered then she is probably eating on her own, just make sure she levels off or there could be other issues.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks so much again for your info about weight…. What about runny poop…. She has yet to form any solid poop. It’s just green runny poop. I use puppy pads in the bottom of the tray and it is just soaking it up like water. And it’s bright olive green like the color of peas?? Should I be worried, go to vet? Or do you think it will firm up??
Bird droppings have some solid pieces in them but are never fully solid like other animals. If it's always green then I would get it checked out by a vet just to be sure. Food can affect the coloring. Usually, something like a raspberry or blackberry will make it red and usually scared the heck out of people until the realize it was the food. I think green is usually questionable unless the bird eats nothing but veggies.