• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Weighing Ollie

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Having to weigh Ollie daily now... in the morning rather than evenings like I used to, so that took a little training. Because he can no longer eat his beloved cashew pieces, I am having to be more creative with the reinforcer.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love it!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awww I love that! :heart:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you Mantis and Martine! :swoon:

clarousel

Aww so cute! :') I try to lure my budgie on it with a treat but she's so wary of it now

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks, clarousel!

Good idea to lure your budgie to the scale with a treat! Try to make it as easy as possible for the behaviour to happen. What will your budgie step onto? My Pionus, Kobe, would not step on a metal object like that, but he will walk on a magazine. So I put a magazine on the scale before I switch it on. Or you could try a cloth, or newspaper. Some scales have a perch that you screw on, but failing that you could aways put a table top perch on top of the scale (just make sure it is secure), or even a block of wood. Leave it in view so that she gets used to it. You could even put toys on it to tempt her to play on it.

Next shape the behaviour. It is too big a step to expect her to get onto a strange new perch, so break the behaviour down into tiny, manageable approximations/steps. Make it easy for her to succeed. If you are going to carry her over, have her step up on your hand and turn towards the scale. Reinforce her relaxed body language with a treat. Take a small step towards the scale. Treat! Take another small step towards the scale. Again reinforce her relaxed body language with a treat. You might want to leave it there for that session. Next session see if you can get closer still all in teeny tiny steps.

If you are going to give her space to walk to the scale herself, again, break it down into tiny approximations, and reinforce those approximations along the way with a treat. Always end on a successful note. If she fails a step, then go back a step or two and make the approximations smaller. Make the training sessions very short - a few seconds here, a minute there throughout the day. That way you can get loads of repetition and repetition = learning.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great encouragement!

I have a small table top perch with a kitchen scale. My guys would step off the T stick onto the other perch on the scale. Easy peasy.

clarousel

Thanks, clarousel!

Good idea to lure your budgie to the scale with a treat! Try to make it as easy as possible for the behaviour to happen. What will your budgie step onto? My Pionus, Kobe, would not step on a metal object like that, but he will walk on a magazine. So I put a magazine on the scale before I switch it on. Or you could try a cloth, or newspaper. Some scales have a perch that you screw on, but failing that you could aways put a table top perch on top of the scale (just make sure it is secure), or even a block of wood. Leave it in view so that she gets used to it. You could even put toys on it to tempt her to play on it.

Next shape the behaviour. It is too big a step to expect her to get onto a strange new perch, so break the behaviour down into tiny, manageable approximations/steps. Make it easy for her to succeed. If you are going to carry her over, have her step up on your hand and turn towards the scale. Reinforce her relaxed body language with a treat. Take a small step towards the scale. Treat! Take another small step towards the scale. Again reinforce her relaxed body language with a treat. You might want to leave it there for that session. Next session see if you can get closer still all in teeny tiny steps.

If you are going to give her space to walk to the scale herself, again, break it down into tiny approximations, and reinforce those approximations along the way with a treat. Always end on a successful note. If she fails a step, then go back a step or two and make the approximations smaller. Make the training sessions very short - a few seconds here, a minute there throughout the day. That way you can get loads of repetition and repetition = learning.
She has walked on before on her own when I place millet on it. I think she's associated it with medicine time hence the waryness and fear!

I've stopped weighing her for the moment but will see how she is when I do so again - if I can place her on there or to let her step onto it when she feels ready. If not I'll try the training sessions like you mentioned!

Thanks for the advice! :D

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I always try to bribe them on and yes, maybe throw a wash cloth or a perch they trust if it will safely sit there. Best to weigh them before they pig out all day so you get a accurate idea of what they are normally. Nerd would weigh 214 in the morning and after munching all day he'd weigh 227 or so.
Just weighed Dobby and he was around 250 so he's lost some weight maybe but he didn't hold still long. He was around 280 a while back but he was a big boy or really full of food back then. I used a paper towel to make it less scary and he hopped on for a bit.

Last edited: