• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
I have a green cheeck conure that I have been handfeeding since he was 15 days old. He is the only one. Most of the time I have trouble feeding because he doesnt want to eat. Tomorrow he will be 5 weeks old and weights 80 grams with empty crop. Does that seems a reasonable weight? Also he started being very curious about things so I offered him millet spray and he eats. I will start to offer him food (and still handfeeding him until I see he completely eats by hinself). He also started to flap his wings. Isnt he too young? Or do conures start doing these thing at that age? Does he started the weaning stage?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can offer some millet or pellets or some vegetables after the formula feeds. Be sure to keep a track on the weight to make sure it does not go down. He should be eating 8-9CC per feeding.

He also started to flap his wings. Isnt he too young?
He will be preening his feathers to open them all up, and flapping is part of that preening but also it exercises the wings.

5 weeks old and weights 80 grams with empty crop. Does that seems a reasonable weight?
@webchirp ?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes 80 is a good weight.

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
Yes 80 is a good weight.
You can offer some millet or pellets or some vegetables after the formula feeds. Be sure to keep a track on the weight to make sure it does not go down. He should be eating 8-9CC per feeding.

He will be preening his feathers to open them all up, and flapping is part of that preening but also it exercises the wings.

@webchirp ?
Thank you