• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning tips and behavior

ciaciu

Moving in
Hello, my quaker's around 6 weeks old and his/her name is kiwi.
1625477236186.jpg I moved him/her into a temporary cage (that belonged to the parrot i had as a child, but i'm currently saving up to buy a better one). He/she's really enjoying the perching activity, and while he/she is becoming more skilled i'm moving higher the perches. As you can see he has a cardboard nest, and my first question is about that: when you think would be the most appropriate time to remove it? The second question is about the room temperature, as you can see i have a thermomether inside the cage, and the temperature is always around 30 C (86 F), sometimes i've caught him panting, but even during the night the temperature stays around that. The only thing i have to cool the room is the a/c, but i think it's dangerous for parrots, isn't it?

The third question is for the "bowls". I'm currently using jar caps in which i always leave fresh tap water and pellets, and during the day i also leave another one with veggies and fruits. He completely ignore the water, which i know it's normal for now, and eats his pellets, millet sprays and fruits/veggies. My concern is about the bowl which he/she hates to the point he/she become aggresive, as you can see from this video.
Normally i put the "bowls" while he/she is not in the cage, and when they are on the ground, they doesn't bother him/her anymore. I should keep doing so, or should i change them? What else could i use?
Thank you for your time :)

EDIT
To avoid giving room to misunderstanding, he/she's not scared of my hands at all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
when you think would be the most appropriate time to remove it?
When he´s comfortable sleeping up on a perch and moving around his cage you can remove it. It´s nice to keep it a short while while he trasitions to cage life.

i've caught him panting
If he´s panting lower the temp. He has his feathers now so can keep himself warm in cooler temperatures.

Do you have a water bowl that you can attach to the cage? Fill that with a little water and see how he gets on. I dip my finger in the water in front of the birds to show them it´s water.

ciaciu

Moving in
Sorry if i answer that late, i didn't have much time during this period. He's still going strong! I purchased a rope perch which he loves and removed the nest some days ago because he wasn't going there anymore. I have two proper bowls attached to the cage now, and one drinking trough. Also when he's outside the cage, i put a plate with water near him, so that if he wants he can bath himself, and he's coming closer everyday.
I have some other question though. When you suggest to start training him, i'm currently using an hazelnut grain as a treat for when he steps up, but i think it's too fat to use as a training treat also for other tasks.
Furthermore, when i can start to introduce my family member, so that he can knows them?