• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning help!!

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
Hello everyone!!!
This is Jive, my cute lovebird, I believe he is around 6-7 weeks old? (Correct me if I’m wrong), I’m trying to start with the weaning process.
I started mixing formula with a mix of fine seeds (the one in the picture) and he’s eating from his bowl alone, he also eats from a spoon whenever I offer it to him.

My question is, I need to offer more food, healthier food like veggies and fruits, can anyone help or recommend how to do this or what types of food would it be safe for him to eat/swallow?
Also do you think i should offer regular seeds mix in another bowl in the cage?

last question, I provided water since the fine seeds mix is dry, but how can I make sure he drinks or get the amount needed per day?
(I’ve been watching his dropping, they’re normal, green and white with some liquid…)

any tip could help thank you so much!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I started mixing formula with a mix of fine seeds (the one in the picture)
What are those seeds? I don´t see any
You can´t blend seeds in a processor. Parrots hull their seeds and discard the casing, they do not eat it.

Where did you get the bird from? Did you find them or buy them? I don´t know why a seller wouldn´t help explain how to wean the bird, or wean them themselves.

Firstly, set up a water bowl. I don´t fill them full for a while, just a cm or so so they are able to drink but not fall in and drown young birds can fall and be a bit clumsy).
Have a bowl set up with seed or pellets in. Or two bowls, one of each. Just start with a teaspoon worth.
For veggies, offer them after feeding the formula feeds. So once you are done with the formula on the spoon, wipe the birds beak, then present some adult foods. Pellets, soaked pellets, seeds, vegetables -you can try larger pieces or finely chopped in a processor. Warm (cooked) sweet potato is often a hit (I hear - my birds never did take to it, but so many others have success with it), peas are a hit around here as well as steamed carrots (cooled).

What is the average schedule currently for you? How many feeds, how much etc Will your bird eat anything other than formula?

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
In his bowl, i put some of this mix with a little bit of he formula and he’s eating it, if you think this mix is bad I’d remove it right away. The seller didn’t give much information and I really want some advice.
The good part is that Jive is not starving, I’m offering 5 ml of formula once a day and Im making sure he eats from the bowl up to 5 times a day, along with drinking some water drops.
I was thinking of adding some veggies mix or fruits mix (blended of course or at least soft) in another food bowl and maybe offer it by spoon.
But do you think this would be great?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I just don´t know what it is. It almost looks like dreid eggfood.

Stick to offering formula, the one you always offered, on the spoon. As you are down to one feed, it´s the nght feed. Be sure to offer some adult foods right after that feed.

During the day, have a bowl of seed, a bowl of pellets, and then offer a plate of veggies in the morning or in the afternoon. It´s more common to have more success in the morning as the bird is hungrier.
Again, water in a bowl available all the time.
You can add in some millet spray too during the day. I like to chop a chunk off (don´t want to give a whole spray as they are very large, too big for one bird). These are great for weaning birds, and then pulling the clusters off to use as treats.

You will be able to monitor if your bird is drinking by looking at the poops in the drop tray, so line it with clear paper for now for better visibility.

Are you weighing you bird? If not, I would do that, just so you are able to make better judgement and be sure they are not losing weight. Though you would know if your bird wasn´t eating enough because they would poop less and cry often.

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
Okay thank you for this! I will start weighting it too. I’ve read birds lose some weight while weaning, how much is acceptable?

also how old do you think he is? I mean you’ve probably seen many birds at all ages haha.
Do you think his plumage is fine this way? A little messy

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
also how old do you think he is?
I believe he is around 6-7 weeks old?
Yes, that sounds about right.

. I’ve read birds lose some weight while weaning, how much is acceptable?
A couple of grams. If it´s over 10% it is something to monitor closely. Though if the bird is 40 few g (41, 42, 43, 44) and loses 10% it would be more cause for concern than if a 60g chick lost 10%.
A decrease in activity is a give away that something is wrong.

Do you think his plumage is fine this way? A little messy
Some babies can get really tatty. Don´t worry, it will all moult out in a few months and the adult plumage will replace it :)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’m weaning mine now, I offer boiled and mashed veggies. I’ve had success with almost everything offered. The cooked veggies are carrots, yam (I believe the orange sweet potato is better), zucchini, peas, little gem (a more delicate romaine from a friends garden), banana, blueberry, strawberry. My pellets are coming in today!!!

Somethings that I did to encourage them was to mash it and put it on their spoon. They’ve grown attached to the spoon and relate it with food. I sometimes add a drop of hot water and a tiny piece of mashed veg and feed it on the spoon. They won’t guzzle it down like formula so I can be sure they won’t choke on little chunks. And after they lick away the water, they eventually munch on the veg. Wally will eat from my fingers and from the ground which I encourage. Eva tends to want me to feed in on the spoon. I’ve been putting it on their spoon and putting it down so she has to go and pick. I offer formula with food each time. If they get bored and run off, then I finish with the other. This is day 2 of weaning and I’m happy. Tomorrow I will try the soaked pellets. Hope your weaning journey is smooth sailing!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hello everyone!!!
This is Jive, my cute lovebird, I believe he is around 6-7 weeks old? (Correct me if I’m wrong), I’m trying to start with the weaning process.
I started mixing formula with a mix of fine seeds (the one in the picture) and he’s eating from his bowl alone, he also eats from a spoon whenever I offer it to him.

My question is, I need to offer more food, healthier food like veggies and fruits, can anyone help or recommend how to do this or what types of food would it be safe for him to eat/swallow?
Also do you think i should offer regular seeds mix in another bowl in the cage?

last question, I provided water since the fine seeds mix is dry, but how can I make sure he drinks or get the amount needed per day?
(I’ve been watching his dropping, they’re normal, green and white with some liquid…)

any tip could help thank you so much!
Jive is adorable! Btw, my babies favorite was mashed boiled carrots!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
This was their dinner! In order…peas, corn, strawberry, yam, banana, zucchini, broccoli, carrot, soaked pellets. First time trying Roudybush, they loved it!! Soaked was a hit and Wally did enjoy the dry. It was still kinda hard for him. I’m feeding them like this because one of the babies won’t take anything unless I personally give it to her, in her spoon or sitting and eating in my hand. And also so i can see what their taste preferences are so i know what i have to hide in there once they get mixed chop. Tomorrow I leave pellets in there for them to free pick. My grown up babies!!! :’(

PS The cotton rope (that can be dangerous) came with their metal food bowls. It’s only used as an obstacle to try to buy me time as they bum rush me haha.

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
You can try sprouting some seeds as well. The shelf life isn't very long but it is more nutritious than normal seeds. Typically ready to serve once it starts sprouting a tail. I would wait for it to full sprout.

20200106_173039.jpg 20200106_173006.jpg
20200515_072103.jpg

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
Wow thank you everyone for all these tips, helped a lot!!!!
I have one last question, can I feed them small grains like cooked quinoa for example? I’ve heard quinoa is great but is there a risk of choking on them because they’re small?
Do birds know what makes them choke?