• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning - Biting - Clicker training?

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
It sounds like you are on the right track with the increased feeding. I personally would continue to offer the formula in the morning and at night for a couple more weeks. As long as she eats the formula I would offer it, even if she is doing well eating the pellets. If she completely stops accepting the formula for a week then it would be safe to say you can stop offering it. Just be sure to monitor her weight on a daily basis and monitor how much she eats from her dishes. If she regresses after you've stopped the formula don't worry about mixing it up again as a comfort feeding. She's growing and needs all the nourishment she can get. As long as she is eating a good portion of pellets I see no need to offer a mineral block... but that's me. I see mineral blocks and cuttlebone as porous materials that can absorb moisture and harbor bacteria, especially with birds who love to bathe in their water cups with all the splashing. You can purchase safety pumice perches ( @Love My Zons has them in different sizes)... the top of the perch the foot rests on is smooth and the sides are pumice to help with nails and birds like to wipe their beaks on perches after eating too. Incorporate some softer wood toys with balsa to encourage her to chew and a couple of other varieties as well with a little harder wood. I would also suggest a platform perch made of wood... a few vendors on the avenue sell them.

She may not have great interest in the veggie mix but still offer it... sometimes it takes a while for them to get interested. You can soak a few pellets to put on top of her serving or sprinkle a small amount of the millet seeds to get her to poke around it.
Great I will keep on offering it and offering veggies! As for the perch she already as a similar one in her cage. I had lovebirds before but never had one that was not weaned yet. I always try to put different types of perches and sizes in the cage. Same for toys! I think I just might have to show her how to play with her toys or perch on the pedi perch. I also have a wooden platform perch. I'll add it to her cage set up and see if that helps :D Thanks again for all the help!!