• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

weaning baby pigeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, when is the time to start weaning my baby pigeon (Benji)? And how to go about doing it?
:confused: He/She is still a bit scared of me but is thriving. He/She can fly but the landing still needs work. I don't want to deprive him of nutrients at this stage but he/she seems to be more than 20 days old. maybe. :confused:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
Thanks for the video, Carole. Benji's still a bit on the baldish side so will continue. Poor baby, she has moments of fear at times and is more happy alone. my concern is for her to thrive, even if she doesn't get attached to me. will post more pics soon.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can put her on a towel on the floor...if she will stay, and "peck" at the seeds with your fingers. She will get it, good luck.

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
You can put her on a towel on the floor...if she will stay, and "peck" at the seeds with your fingers. She will get it, good luck.[/QUOT

She always walks away when she's on the towel and i try to go near her. but i leave small heaps of seeds (rori's seeds and some mix for garden birds) on the towel and she just beaks them. right now she's becoming less interested in the formula (she takes a few gulps and then wants to go perch somewhere, and then a few gulps and so on) so i'm becoming a bit worried. but her colours are coming out nicely (blue on the wings and grey and white tailfeathers) and they are glossy.

Status
Not open for further replies.