• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

weaning baby budgie

atlas

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
atlas
hi! I've come here to ask for some advice!
I've been handraising a baby budgie for about 2 weeks now, which means she is approximately 1 month old, and 2 days ago she started rejecting the formula! I figured it was time to start giving solid food in bigger amounts (she had already been introduced to them) but now that I'm handfeeding only 2 times a day, I don't see her eat that often and it's making me worry a bit... all she wants to do is fly around like crazy and sit on my shoulder and get head rubs

what should I do? do I need to stimulate her to eat more? if so, how?

PS. : she's weighting 32 g

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Once my baby budgie was in his own cage- still on formula, but eating solid food by himself- I didn’t see him eat much either. I think they don’t eat much around us because their attention is focused on you rather than the food. As long as they aren’t losing weight and the poops are still frequent and normal looking, I wouldn’t worry about it

atlas

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
atlas
Once my baby budgie was in his own cage- still on formula, but eating solid food by himself- I didn’t see him eat much either. I think they don’t eat much around us because their attention is focused on you rather than the food. As long as they aren’t losing weight and the poops are still frequent and normal looking, I wouldn’t worry about it
thank you! I'll keep watching the weight then