• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
So I bought these 2 babies (1- born sep 27 and 2- oct 1) and I had to take them home earlier than expected (on nov 7- so they were 6 weeks) and handfeed them myself as the breeder was travelling. I've never handfed or weaned babies before and so she taught me how to prep the food, how to do it and what to watch out for/behaviors. She also mentioned that they would need to be handfed max another week. A week has past and they are still reliant on formula at least 3 times a day and will scream if they don't get it. I tried contacting the breeder for advice and to check in but I haven't gotten a response. I want to wean them off but I don't know how and when I search online it says that they should naturally wean off if I provide them with food- They have 4 bowls of pellet and seed in their cage (2 big with seed, 2 small with pellet) and they do pick at their food and eat some but they still need to be handfeed 3 times a day. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong-is there something I should be doing that would help wean them off? Should they still be eating 3 times a day formula when they are now 7 weeks old??

I've included a link of how I do the feedings and what they're behavior is like- also when I searched online I cant find other people who do a feeding with a straw

I would really appreciate any help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She also mentioned that they would need to be handfed max another week
There isn´t really a max.
Just carry on feeding them on the schedule you have.
When you notice they are eating less during the feeds, drop one feed from the days schedule. If you are on three now, then first drop to only Am and Pm, then the last feed when you are down to one will be the night feed.

Should they still be eating 3 times a day formula when they are now 7 weeks old??
Average weaning age is 10-12 weeks so 3 feeds sounds fine for their age :)

-is there something I should be doing that would help wean them off?
Yes. Offer up foods right after the formula. Literally, right after - this is when they are most likely to try new things.

when I searched online I cant find other people who do a feeding with a straw
No idea on the straw thing. Stick to a small metal spoon.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've included a link of how I do the feedings and what they're behavior is like- also when I searched online I cant find other people who do a feeding with a straw
Ah ok, sorry, I read that like you had found people online talking about using a straw. But you mean you are using a straw and don´t see folk talking about it online. Yea, that´s because it´s not a good device to feed such bird.
I just watched your video, you can see the birds are bobbing and swallowing but they are swallowing air because there´s no food/super small amount of food on the straw tip. Did the breeder tell you to use a straw?
You will find a spoon to be a much better feeding tool. Gently guide their head with your left hand (not restricting, just guiding to stop them bobbing all over the place), and give the formula with a spoon in the right hand. (or the other way around if you are zurdo).

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Ah ok, sorry, I read that like you had found people online talking about using a straw. But you mean you are using a straw and don´t see folk talking about it online. Yea, that´s because it´s not a good device to feed such bird.
I just watched your video, you can see the birds are bobbing and swallowing but they are swallowing air because there´s no food/super small amount of food on the straw tip. Did the breeder tell you to use a straw?
You will find a spoon to be a much better feeding tool. Gently guide their head with your left hand (not restricting, just guiding to stop them bobbing all over the place), and give the formula with a spoon in the right hand. (or the other way around if you are zurdo).
Yes- she told me to use a straw. Does swallowing air harm them? Also I forgot to mention their poop is mixture of long solid light green and liquid which is a tint of yellow/green

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. Does swallowing air harm them?
The problem with the air is it can make the crop feel/look more full when really it´s all air in there. Not to mention you can´t work out how much the bird is eating. With a teaspoon you know it´s 5ml per spoon.

mixture of long solid light green and liquid which is a tint of yellow/green
That´s a combo of seeds and formula, sounds fine :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does the breeder usually feed using a straw? I have never heard of that before and I am with Zara regarding getting a feeding spoon and using that instead. I am also a little curious so I have to ask.... are you using a new straw for each feed or just the one straw that gets washed?

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Does the breeder usually feed using a straw? I have never heard of that before and I am with Zara regarding getting a feeding spoon and using that instead. I am also a little curious so I have to ask.... are you using a new straw for each feed or just the one straw that gets washed?
New straw every feeding