• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning a cockatiel

Birdie102

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey! So my cockatiel is now 7 weeks old and is one three handfeedings a day, 9:30, 2:30, and 8:30. How do I wean him and drop down to one feeding a day. He also can eat spray mullet and loves that. He has a bowl of pellets and water in his cage

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He still has a little way to go before weaning (10-12weeks old on average).
Keep having the foods available for him to try. Offer a mix of vegetables too. Be sure to introduce new foods right after formula feeding as that is when he will be most likely to try them.

Birdie102

Checking out the neighborhood
okay thank you will continue to have him on formula but how do I begin to stop some of the feedings when he’s a bit older

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Your baby will let you know when he or she is ready to drop a feeding. The baby will start refusing one of its feedings during the day. When this happens a few days in a row, then you know you can drop that feeding. Just be sure to monitor baby’s weight and be prepared to add the feeding back in if the weight drops or if baby starts acting more hungry and less content.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Try waiting until the cockatiel is older like @Zara said. I’d suggest you start off with softer foods such as sweet potato or banana. I am no expert though!