• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning a 6 month old Cocatiel

Picadilly

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone!

My name is Jessica ( I am new here) and I have a 6-month-old whiteface pied cockatiel, Picadilly. Dilly for short .:) We got him from a pet shop. I know that inexperienced people should never take an unweaned baby home. But we are currently in a difficult time and the pet shop has closed due to Lockdown. We have been to the vet multiple times and he has eventually been cleared from any infections. The vet said that I should not worry about the weaning process and that some birds even wean when they are 2 years old. I know that birds wean at there own time and pace but I was just wondering how I could encourage him. Unfurtunly he did not have the opportunity to fledge as his wings were clipped very very young. In looking back at the whole process I would never buy from this pet shop again. I offer him fresh chop every day alongside pellets that I crushed for him to make it easier to eat. He nibbles them but does not consume enough to maintain his own weight. He also has millet spray hanging in his cage. This he enjoys very much but eating formula every morning is still the best thing ever to him. He is currently on 2 hand-feedings a day.

He is very small, weighing in at only 68g.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated. I am really trying my best to give this guy the life he deserves. :tiel5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will wean eventually, though 6 months is a long time.
How much does he eat per feeding?

Some things to try;
Offer the formula on a spoon
Offer adult food right after the formula (immediately), these can be introduced in bowls, held by you, or included in a foraging tray with toys.
Try giving him some warm (not hot) mashed sweet potato on the spoon right after the formula.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Hi Piccadilly
Do you mean six weeks? I thought that cockatiels wean between seven to ten weeks although I am sure they enjoy their formula as comfort food for a bit longer. He is super pretty and I agree, he is a little on the small side, but not much.

Picadilly

Yes, he is 6 months old. He was really sick that is why he did not wean at a normal age.

Picadilly

He will wean eventually, though 6 months is a long time.
How much does he eat per feeding?

Some things to try;
Offer the formula on a spoon
Offer adult food right after the formula (immediately), these can be introduced in bowls, held by you, or included in a foraging tray with toys.
Try giving him some warm (not hot) mashed sweet potato on the spoon right after the formula.
Thank you for the advice, I will give it a try. He eats 7.5 grams of formula per feeding

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Reactions: Ali