• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaned Babies

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
Hi!
I have had and raised birds since I was little, and have experience with breeding canaries and finches.
At the moment, I have a pair of lovebirds alone in a LARGE aviary cage that are breeding (I "inherited" them as a bonded pair).
We also have (all in separate cages) 5 more lovebirds (2 are fledgling babies of the pair, almost weaned), a kakariki and a Pinapple Green Cheek Conure.

QUESTION:
I have been hand feeding the babies since about 3-4 weeks...They are eating seed, working on flying, and just doing great!...
Here's what I want to know....Once they are fully weaned, could I put them back in the cage with the mom and dad? I don't plan on selling them or giving them to anyone, but would like to be able to keep them in the aviary cage. Did I negate that option when I chose to hand feed?
Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here's what I want to know....Once they are fully weaned, could I put them back in the cage with the mom and dad?
No.
House them separately. Mum and dad will attack them when they want to start the breeding process again.
You can keep the cages side by side and allow out of cage time, they might enjoy flying as a flock. I have 4 that are thick as theives usuallly however things do get a little tense when one of the girls are hormonal. I posted a thread if you want to read someone elses experiences The Blue Team

Don´t feel like it is your fault they can´t be housed together, it would be the same if they had been parent raised. A few months down the line the parents just want the offspring away so they can focus on the new clutch :)

(You call it Aviary Cage, but if you mean flight cage, I stick to what I just wrote. A large aviary could work though, but I´m talking at least the size of a car and 2-3m tall.)

Congratulations on the little ones :loveshower:

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
No.
House them separately. Mum and dad will attack them when they want to start the breeding process again.
You can keep the cages side by side and allow out of cage time, they might enjoy flying as a flock. I have 4 that are thick as theives usuallly however things do get a little tense when one of the girls are hormonal. I posted a thread if you want to read someone elses experiences The Blue Team

Don´t feel like it is your fault they can´t be housed together, it would be the same if they had been parent raised. A few months down the line the parents just want the offspring away so they can focus on the new clutch :)

(You call it Aviary Cage, but if you mean flight cage, I stick to what I just wrote. A large aviary could work though, but I´m talking at least the size of a car and 2-3m tall.)

Congratulations on the little ones :loveshower:
Yes, I guess it is a flight cage...Thank you!
So, future babies (even if fully weaned by the mom and dad) wouldn't be able to stay in there with them? I have plenty of cage space, so I'm not too worried...
Do I run the same risk with putting younger babies in with older ones?
I already have a room just for my chinchillas, may have to kick my husband out of his office for a bird room.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So, future babies (even if fully weaned by the mom and dad) wouldn't be able to stay in there with them?
Correct.

Do I run the same risk with putting younger babies in with older ones?
If it is one younger chick and one older chick, allow them to meet in a neautral space and be sure they bond before housing them together.

The rule with lovebirds is only one bird or one bonded pair per cage(flight cage).
It is because when they turn, they are nasty and can kill.
(again, unless we are talking a large aviary)

may have to kick my husband out of his office for a bird room.
Maybe :lol: Ours have taken over our living room! :rolleyes: