• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weakness?

straypids

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
My cockatiel has been sitting on her egg for around 16 days now. She has a grate cage bottom and my moms saying she’s losing her ability to walk/get up and that I should take the egg out. My bird hasn’t shown any signs of noticing that it’s infertile yet. She gets up to eat and drink and sometimes goes up to her main perch to try to get me to take her out (which i do) Is it possible for her to become weak?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The short answer is that yes, it is possible. Doe she have a male that she has been with that you think the egg could be fertile? Have you candled the egg to check?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It could also be another egg on the way. Sometimes they'll press on a nerve and make walking difficult.

straypids

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
The short answer is that yes, it is possible. Doe she have a male that she has been with that you think the egg could be fertile? Have you candled the egg to check?
nope, she’s the only bird in the house and it’s infertile.

straypids

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
It could also be another egg on the way. Sometimes they'll press on a nerve and make walking difficult.
we thought was going to lay another one after one of them broke but that happened last week and she hasn’t laid another one. my family decided to take the egg out despite my wishes. will that cause my bird to lay another egg/replace the one they took away?

straypids

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
I’m sorry for the questions that i should already know^^’
my parents took away the egg my cockatiel had for around 16 days (laid it on march 11) and she’s been acting normal but when she’s in my room and goes to sleep she’s on the cage floor (she’s up and all normal when she’s awake). is she sick or is she going to replace the egg they took or is she fine? thank you for any help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
will that cause my bird to lay another egg/replace the one they took away?
It is possible, but keep in mind, cockatiel incubation time is just 18 days, so you weren´t far off having to remove the egg anyway.

Be sure to rearrange the cage, add in a new toy, move the food and water bowls, add some foraging activities for her, and if you can move the cage, or rotate it, do it. Give the cage a good clean, removing any shredded paper or materials.

straypids

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
It is possible, but keep in mind, cockatiel incubation time is just 18 days, so you weren´t far off having to remove the egg anyway.

Be sure to rearrange the cage, add in a new toy, move the food and water bowls, add some foraging activities for her, and if you can move the cage, or rotate it, do it. Give the cage a good clean, removing any shredded paper or materials.
Thank you! i’ll definitely rearrange and clean the cage tomorrow. :)