• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weakness and Baytril

Angie1234567

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, All!

One of my parakeets has been sick for months. When I took him to the vet back in March he was almost as good as dead. I kept him there hospitalized for 5 days, then took him home. From there I kept him warm in the cage with his companion. He eventually got better! He was strong, he gained all of his weight back, and I was able to take him off of baytril. About three weeks ago I noticed he started to get weak again. He couldn't fly around my room as much as he used to. I took him to the vet again, his weight was fine. The vet said he appeared to be okay, so he prescribed my bird baytril again. I've been giving him a dose of .05 twice a day for three weeks now. He's still getting weak. Everyday he's able to fly less and less. He does appear to be eating and pooping. His companion is completely fine; flying well, strong weight, eating and pooping just fine. I keep my room warm, so he doesn't look puffed up. The main issue is him losing his ability to fly.

Going back to the vet is no longer an option. I'm starting school, and it costs me a whole day's paycheck just to have him looked at. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum.

What did the vet say was wrong with your bird initially? Did he run any tests? How old is your bird?

Angie1234567

Thanks for the response! The vet wasn't sure what was wrong. No test were preformed on the bird. He is 6 years old

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
.05 seems like alot for such a small guy, my cockatiels have had Baytril at .05 and we're talking about birds that weigh around 90 grams..it won't cost you to call and ask to have the dose recalculated,,,I doubt your little guy weighs 90 grams.. I hope he's ok.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could you ask to have a gram stain done at least? Baytril may not be what he needs depending on what's wrong? Also, you may want to ask you vet about giving him some probiotics too.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I would enquire about avian gastric yeast infection. This could be assessed for by microscopic evaluation of poop. Although this is perhaps less likely if weight fine. But inability to fly suggests reduction in breast muscle mass... good luck I hope he is ok.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It sounds like your vet threw medicine at your bird without knowing if that's what he needed.

Angie1234567

Hi, all! Thanks for the responses. I found a vet that is much more reasonable with pricing. He took him off of baytril and is currently giving him a breathing treatment because he was breathing hard. His breast bone is showing a lot as well. He says he's working on it :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope he improves by the day!!