• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We made the switch

mak

Rollerblading along the road
When I bought my tiel, Tooky, he was on a seed only diet. At the time I was considering keeping him that way. I had previously tried to convert my budgies to pellets but I didn't get anywhere. I tried everything, mixing a little in with the seeds, grinding them to smaller pieces, soaking them in apple juice, nothing worked and I gave up. Because of my previous experience I had no intention of trying pellets with Tooky. However, seeing from AA members just how important it is, I decided to give it a try.
I started by offering a pellet in my hand as I would a treat. He took it and ate it! A day later I replaced his seeds with pellets and...... he ate them! He switched cold turkey! I never in my wildest dreams thought it would go so smoothly.
I do have a few questions:
I bought Nutribird pellets as those were the ones available in my area. I bought the cockatiel size which are way too big. He takes one and bites it so that most of it falls on the bottom of the cage. It's a huge waste (and mess). I have been breaking each pellet in half by hand (very time consuming) and I was wondering if I could buy him the smaller budgie sized pellets?
The second question is how much seed to keep in his diet. I have been putting in a bowl of seeds once a day and letting him eat till he's done and then removing. Is this ok?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would go 25% seed 75% pellets, obviously in line with the veggies they get :)
you can buy the budgie version :)

my mom’s tiel are eating the parrot sized ones just a well. Its a matter of preference i suppose :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The formulas are different:

B14
Screenshot_20200705-090818.png

G14
Screenshot_20200705-090857.png

That being said, the main difference is less fat and different ingredients, so you can give it a try and see how it goes.

Many cockatiel owners suggest 50/50 pellets and seeds, so that might look like 40 pellets/ 40 seeds, and 20 veggies, or 25 pellets/25 seeds, and 50 veggies.

clarousel

If you have a mortar and pestle you could grind the pellets down so you don't waste the bag you currently have.

I do this for my budgie cause the budgie sized pellets are too big :shifty:

Mantis64

Remember not to give too many pellets as others have stated pellets if eaten too much can cause damage to the birds kidneys I believe.

Reactions: Ali

Mantis64

Pellets only damage kidneys if it is the main diet with nothing else added.

Same with how plain seed causes fatty liver disease over time.
I meant they are harder on smaller bird kidneys and I did mean if the main diet only.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
African Gray here, mine also seems to love Nutribird pellets but I'm afraid I'm giving him too much sugar by feeding him these pellets. Isn't it a general rule of thumb to keep sugar out of their main diet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
African Gray here, mine also seems to love Nutribird pellets but I'm afraid I'm giving him too much sugar by feeding him these pellets. Isn't it a general rule of thumb to keep sugar out of their main diet?
A sugar free pellet is preferable, yes, but the diet doesn't need to be completely devoid of sugar. If my options are between the bird eating a sugar pellet or no pellet, I'll take the sugar pellet everytime. I just make sure to limit fruit to a treat :)