• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We Lost One of the Best... Dr. Sakas

Parrotkiss

Hit the Road
Frankenmuth, Michigan (Formerly from the U.K.)
Real Name
Glenda
Illinois Parrot Rescue
7 hrs ·
This virus has now struck close to home, Dr. Peter Sakas of Niles Animal Hospital passed away yesterday from the covid virus. Pete was always there to help with any animal, showing up to talk about bird poop to the bird club, being there for any hoarding situation, doing vet checks at bird fairs, he was there to help or talk to make your life and your birds life better.
Course if your animal was fine then Peter had to talk about Rock and Roll, his other great passion.
When I got my Great Dane, Peter was almost as excited as I was, giving me tips on his care and asking about him whenever I met up with him.
So fly free Peter Sakas all the animals that you ever helped are waiting to greet you and it's a long line.

View attachment 332603

This is my vet... I have no words. This is the saddest news and I am devastated.
Ohh, no no no! So sorry to hear that.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh no, how horribly sad for his family, clients and all the birds in his region. Please extend my deepest sympathies and condolences to his family. Heartbreaking just heartbreaking.
Sarah I forgot that your feather bunch saw him as their vet. Sweetheart I deeply sorry.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! That’s just heartbreaking. I’m so very sorry. He was such a good man and he touched so many lives. Life just isn’t fair.:sad1:
:sadhug2:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This damn virus. OMG. It knows no boundaries, taking so many gifted people away from us along with the rest.
I'm so very sorry, Sarah

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really am so very sad and sorry to hear of the loss of such a beautiful, wonderful and special person. I’m awfully sorry for your loss Sarah :sorrow:
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just got the email. He cared for little wee Waffle when she was first born (before she came home to us). He was so respected in the field. How awful. :(

Hugs are not even enough, but I am sending them to you anyway @Macawnutz

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Dear Niles Animal Hospital family,

It is with completely shattered hearts that we give you the news that Dr. Peter Sakas, our father, has passed away unexpectedly. Though it was unexpected, he was comfortable in his final moments.

There are no words to describe how broken we feel, and you undoubtedly feel the same. Our father was truly one of a kind. His sister recently shared the story with us of why he decided to become a veterinarian. Believe it or not, our dad grew up wanting to become an architect and would frequently be found doodling pictures of his future buildings (a trait he held onto his entire life...he would constantly doodle when he was on the phone). He worked as a caddie over the summers and one day while walking home, he found a small injured bird on the sidewalk. He brought the bird home and was completely beside himself that he was unable to help it. That moment was the impetus for his decision to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. As people get older, they tend to become jaded, but our father’s big heart and compassion only seemed to grow since finding that small bird. His love and empathy knew no bounds. He truly believed all life is precious and that animals have souls. He practiced medicine in a manner that was testament to those beliefs. He frequently took on cases that others considered helpless and he would often double-book himself or come in to the clinic after hours to care for the animals, both pets and wildlife, he so dearly loved.
Our father would often tell us that he’s never worked a day in his life because he loved his job so much. He took great pride in being the voice for patients who could not speak and tell him their problems, but we also know that the people he could speak to (you, his clients) meant the world to him. Our entire lives have been filled with stories of his clients and their animal companions he has had the privilege of treating. He would tell us about the wonderful people who tolerated his “dad joke” style of humor and who even traveled from different states to come see him (We’ll never forget hearing about the turkey who came in a corvette from Wisconsin). So although we have not met many of you in person, you have felt like a part of our family for as long as we can remember and we can’t thank you enough for making him feel so loved. He told us that he was never going to retire, and we’re comforted to know he got to uphold that promise and do what he loved right up until the very end.
The hole that this has left in our hearts will never fully heal, but our father’s spirit lives on in the entire staff at Niles Animal Hospital. Our father said that he was an “excellent judge of character,” and we know firsthand that the team he has created is top-notch and will continue to carry out his legacy and way of practicing. We hope you can continue to trust Niles Animal Hospital with the care of your beloved companions.
Given the extremely unfortunate circumstances, we are unable to have a proper memorial service at this time. There will be a service for immediate family members, but we plan to have another service some time in the future where we can all come together and properly celebrate our father.
In the meantime, please feel free to share your favorite memory, story, or cheesy “dad joke” you have of our father on his personal Facebook page or the Niles Animal Hospital Facebook page. We will personally be reading each one and it would truly mean the world to know how our father has impacted your lives since we are unable to share these stories in person at this time.
If you would like to make a different kind of contribution, we would direct you to make a contribution to the University of Illinois Companion Animal Memorial Fund in our father’s name.
https://vetmed.illinois.edu/…/companion-animal-memorial-fu…/
We cannot thank you enough for everything you all have done for our father over the years, and we hope to get the chance to properly celebrate our father with you all in the future. He was too big of a character to be contained by a physical body, and we look forward to hearing the stories you have to share and how he will continue to live on in all of our hearts.
Love,
Courtney, Christopher, and the entire Sakas family

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Is this the vet that saved Korbel? So sorry Sarah, what a loss.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is this the vet that saved Korbel? So sorry Sarah, what a loss.
One and the same. The only vet that didn't tell me to put him down. The only one that would fight to the end and never consider death an option.

I remember the first time I met him, Korbel was so small. The whole appointment he kept looking at me funny. I kept thinking I really like him but if the weirdo asks me out I will never be able to come back. It was so strange... At the very end of the appointment, just before walking out the door he asked me how I liked being on America's Got Talent. ;)

I found it so funny and explained the day before a man pegged me for the same solely by my voice on the phone. He knew the man I was talking about and we sat there and chatted for another hour I bet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One and the same. The only vet that didn't tell me to put him down. The only one that would fight to the end and never consider death an option.
That must be one of the characteristics that makes a vet a great vet. Mine is like that too.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Illinois Parrot Rescue
7 hrs ·
This virus has now struck close to home, Dr. Peter Sakas of Niles Animal Hospital passed away yesterday from the covid virus. Pete was always there to help with any animal, showing up to talk about bird poop to the bird club, being there for any hoarding situation, doing vet checks at bird fairs, he was there to help or talk to make your life and your birds life better.
Course if your animal was fine then Peter had to talk about Rock and Roll, his other great passion.
When I got my Great Dane, Peter was almost as excited as I was, giving me tips on his care and asking about him whenever I met up with him.
So fly free Peter Sakas all the animals that you ever helped are waiting to greet you and it's a long line.

View attachment 332603

This is my vet... I have no words. This is the saddest news and I am devastated.
He sounds like he was an amazing man. I am sorry for your and all of his patients' and his family's loss. This is devastating.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sarah, I am very sorry for your loss. If you want to call and rage, cry, pretty lady, or all of the above, I'm here. :(

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh Sarah, that makes it even worse . . . .

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sarah, I'm so sorry what a huge loss to you & your family.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I saw this on Facebook last night and couldn't believe it :( What a terrible blow to his family and the Avian community.