• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We Lost One of the Best... Dr. Sakas

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Illinois Parrot Rescue
7 hrs ·
This virus has now struck close to home, Dr. Peter Sakas of Niles Animal Hospital passed away yesterday from the covid virus. Pete was always there to help with any animal, showing up to talk about bird poop to the bird club, being there for any hoarding situation, doing vet checks at bird fairs, he was there to help or talk to make your life and your birds life better.
Course if your animal was fine then Peter had to talk about Rock and Roll, his other great passion.
When I got my Great Dane, Peter was almost as excited as I was, giving me tips on his care and asking about him whenever I met up with him.
So fly free Peter Sakas all the animals that you ever helped are waiting to greet you and it's a long line.

91908905_1382681621935944_4454293428582219776_n.jpg

This is my vet... I have no words. This is the saddest news and I am devastated.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am so very sorry Sarah! I saw it on FB this morning and thought of you :sadhug:
Yah T... I'm not okay. I'm posting through tears and about to wake the house with my sniveling. This hurts me like it would if it were family. He is family to me.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
No no no not this one. I knew a staff member had it but didn’t know who. He was the very best vet I have ever met. I loved talking to him about his past with Dr. Lafeber and all of the rock stars he has met. He was such a caring wonderful man!!:sad1:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yah T... I'm not okay. I'm posting through tears and about to wake the house with my sniveling. This hurts me like it would if it were family. He is family to me.
If you need to blubber/rant/sob/talk to someone, I'm home for the next 14 days, feel free to call me :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If you need to blubber/rant/sob/talk to someone, I'm home for the next 14 days, feel free to call me :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:
He touched so many people. This is devastating to the avian community. Just watch how many members here knew and loved him...
I'm sorry for his clinic, I'm sorry for his family.. his son who was studying to be a vet.

I'm mad, I'm sorry, I'm crying and.... it's just not about me. This sucks for everyone everywhere.
Obviously I'm not good conversation material today. Cry, scream, yell... inappropriately start laughing at the deep pile of crap we have...
Ugh.. but I love you T. People do not need paint right now so stay home. XOXOXOXO

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Oh no! How terrible, he was a gold-hearted champion for so many birds and an absolute fountain of knowledge.
I am so sorry for your (and his family's and other 'patients') loss. A good vet treats our animals like they are part of their own family, and he was a damn good vet and a wonderful person.

Feels strange to say this, but wings high Dr. Sakas. You were already a guardian angel on earth and will be deeply missed.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh no!

I've met him at seminars and chatted with him about that bird poop talk. I was trying to get him to St. Louis to give that talk to our bird club here, but couldn't lure him away from Illinois for that long. I knew about his rock star passion and thought about how I could find a lure.

He was an extremely nice, very gracious, friendly soul that loved birds.

Sarah, he was part of your family.

My condolences to his family. He will be dearly missed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very tragic. I´m so sorry Sarah. I know how special a vet he was to you, I´ve only read good things you wrote about him. I´m sure he will be deeply missed by so many.
Sending positive thoughts to his family, and to you and yours @Macawnutz :sadhug:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear this. He sounds like he was a good man and a great vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz Our greatest fears verified. Dr. Sakas thank you for helping Sarah through so many tough spots with her birds (and keeping her feet on the ground at times).

It seems that the good guys go first and this one should not have gone.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:(:sadhug2::(

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor