• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures We have a clear nostril at last!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's true, Michael! My budgie Boo used to have leaf baths in big bunches of wet parsley. :D
I love your Avery by the way. How big is that?
I have been toying with the idea of doing one. Have been drawing plans, scratching my head.
Reworking the idea, to make it an all year round type of avery.
But my idea consist of tropical plants ( close in the natural habitat. ) problem is, this is michigan, and those types of plants would die off in winter.
Sooo, maybe make a dual type avery, that allows nice air, some sun and rain showers, yet close up the walls for winter, clear Plexiglas and allow radiant heat in or geo thermal heat.
That would be for the plants to maintain through winter.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you Michael. I will have to measure it tomorrow in the light. Here is a pic of it I took when Ollie was having his showers in the rain...

This is it from the outside when we were replacing the decking as Ollie was chewing the old softwood decking.

As you can see it is built on to the house and is accessed by French windows (doors).

Planting with tropical plants sounds wonderful. Or you could use plants that are evergreen and hardy in Michigan. My safe evergreen plants are the bamboo. You can get large leafed bamboo that look tropical. Clumping bamboo suit large pots better than bamboo that spreads by runners. Some grasses are evergreen (some of the Stipa or Carex). You could even plant a bay tree in a large pot - they are evergreen. Are palms hardy where you are? Something like Trachycarpus fortunei which are hardy here - don't know how cold it gets in Michigan. Phormium (New Zealand flax) might survive if sheltered.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Your aviary looks amazing! :xflove: