• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We applied for adoption!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My partner and I just applied to adopt a sweet duck. He is a similar size to my boys so he should be a lovely addition. Last time I adopted it was much more, chat on the phone and then go in. Now, I guess because of covid, there is an online form. Now I am all anxious. What if they don't pick us? Ahhh! Fingers crossed! I sent them photos of our current duck area which is under trees and has a child's pool.. we have to be good candidates. Attached is a photo from the rescue's page. He is a lovely cream colour.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You are awesome candidates, no need to worry about that! Wishing you good luck and eagerly awaiting any news.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Good luck I hope you get him :heart:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
How exciting! :excited1: Please keep us posted! :D

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yay! I hope you get him!!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is beautiful! Rooting that he can come to you and join your boys flock. I don’t think you need to be anxious but totally understand the feeling :D

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's wonderful! Fingers crossed you will be selected, but I don't see any reasons why they wouldn't select you!

You may have read my thread about our sweet Daisy who recently passed after a coyote attack. We now have 2 week old Pekin ducklings in honor of her. We saved them from eventually ending up on someone's dinner plate, so we consider our girls rescues.

Pekins make fantastic pets! While they are messy buggers, they will fill your heart with smiles and joy. Be sure to have a kiddie pool for her to enjoy. They absolutely need to have a source of water to wade and bathe in.

'He' looks like a female from this image. Unless he was going through a molt when that pic was taken, males actually have one curled tail feather.

Here's a pic of our new ones! Holly and Harper.jpg They hatched on the 7th.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He has the male tail curled up. Def a boy!

I have had my current ducks for more than 3 years :) they are all stitched up a pool and a yard with grass and trees.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oooh Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly :fingerscrossed: How exciting! :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
After a few email exchanges to share more photos of the duck area I am pleased to say we have been approved for adoption. I pick him up tomorrow at 10:00 am :D I will share more photos as it comes!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations, Fantastic news! What is his name? I hope he will fit in with your ducks well :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations, Fantastic news! What is his name? I hope he will fit in with your ducks well :)
He is currently named Glaze. Which I find offensive, like roast duck...

We haven't renamed him yet. We want to see if he knows his current name and if he does try to find something close enough. If he doesn't know his name we will change it to whatever. In the running: Glen, Patrick, Glade, Parsnip, Theo, Darcy

Some are my partner's thoughts and others are mine. His name will click once we meet him! Only 12hrs away from picking him up.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those are nice names you have selected, keep us updated on how that goes! Can´t wait to read updates on him settling in. Do ducks have to quarantine?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is amazing news!!! Welcome handsome man! Can't wait to see a picture of him in his new duck paradise :loveshower:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Those are nice names you have selected, keep us updated on how that goes! Can´t wait to read updates on him settling in. Do ducks have to quarantine?
We weren't t planning on quarantining him but you raise a valid point. He has been at the rescue for a long enough period that no one claimed him. He was found abandoned in a public place. I am not sure how long they hold found pets before setting them up for adoption. I will ask. I do know he has been dewormed, and hasn't needed any extra medical care. If when I meet him he shows any signs of respiratory issues or seems to have a health condition I will QT. This wasn't the original plan, but you have given me something to think about.

We were going to keep him seperate with views from afar long enough to know they all accept each other. Which may take a few hours, days or weeks depending on how it all goes.