• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wd40 ok to use?

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
hey so i noticed my bird cage got some rust and I was wondering if it’s ok to use wd40 to remove the rust, or is it toxic and shouldn’t be used?
Like if I use the wd40 the l hose the cage down with a sponge and soap should that be ok?
Thanks I got the cage from a pet store that said it’s brand new... they gave me the display one and when I got home I noticed rust between all the hinges...

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
AFAIK... Any rust can be deadly to birds... use with caution!

WD40 is basically fish oil mixed with other ingredients. Not great as some can be left in holes etc.

Someone else like @JLcribber might have more knowledge!

:)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
WD40 has a very strong smell so I wouldn't use it around the birds. If you are washing it all off, then I'm not sure it would have its intended effect anyway.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
WD40 is a no, no!
If you are washing it all off, then I'm not sure it would have its intended effect anyway.
No, no effect at all more then poison to the birds.
Thanks I got the cage from a pet store that said it’s brand new.
Why not returning the cage?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
WD40 is a solvent/penetrant. Poison.

If you clean the rust off without priming or coating the cleaned metal it will just rust again even quicker. A tiny bit of rust between the hinges is not the end of the world. What are the chances of the birds ever chewing that particular spot?

You should be bringing up your concerns with the pet store.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I would return the cage. You just bought and it's defective so there should be no issue getting your money back or exchanging it.

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
@Eloy so I should not use it? Do you know any other way to clean it off? I called them and they said they can’t do a return.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best thing to do is to return the cage. Did you buy it with a credit card? If so call your credit card company. The cage is in bad condition/defective and I would talk to someone at the store again. If they won't take it back then they should be willing to replace the rusted parts. A new cage should not be rusty. Don't let them get away with not taking care of the issue.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
hey so i noticed my bird cage got some rust and I was wondering if it’s ok to use wd40 to remove the rust, or is it toxic and shouldn’t be used?
Like if I use the wd40 the l hose the cage down with a sponge and soap should that be ok?
Thanks I got the cage from a pet store that said it’s brand new... they gave me the display one and when I got home I noticed rust between all the hinges...
If you are planning on washing the cage afterwards it shouldn't be a problem
but..... there are alternatives that you could use :) Vinegar and lemon juice both remove rust then there is a good old fashioned wire brush. Happy Cleaning!