• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WBC - weaning

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
I have a WBC that is five months old and does not want to wean. I have tried cutting down the amount of formula, soaking pellets in water or formula, dozens of foods, even going to twice a day. He will eat the foods that I put out for him, but still clings to the formula. He is also extremely attached to me.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2019-10-26_10-7-10.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just keep feeding him formula, he will wean one day - when he is ready :)

As for trying new food, be sure to offer the adult foods after his formula - that is when chicks are more open to exploring and trying something new.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Make sure to weigh him daily to make sure he's eating enough. Some birds will lose weight during eating, but it shouldn't be too fast or extreme.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with Matt & Zara. Keep offering the formula and weigh daily. Some birds take longer to wean than others. You stated that he is eating some adult food on his own so that's a start.
I've tagged 2 members who breed Caiques.
@Laurie
@Irishj9

BTW, he is very cute. What is his name?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hello and welcome to both of you.

In my experience the average age for a WBC, raised in a group of siblings or similarly aged babies to wean is 4 months. That being said a little sooner or later is fine as well.

It's hard to really assess a situation over the internet but I can definitely give you some ideas.

First, just to be clear, a weaned bird is one who eats enough food on his own (without handfeeding or assistance from a parent bird) to maintain his body weight day after day. Most birds will eat some formula if it is offered. So basically do not expect your baby to completely refuse to ever eat formula. If you offer it he will eat some, most likely.

As I sit here listening to my 3 1/2 month old WBC in the other room begging for food I can tell you that begging sounds and motions are an indication of not being weaned. So is acting desperate for food when you offer formula. Biting out of panic for food is a sign of not being weaned. Eating a full crop of formula is also a sign that he hasn't eaten enough food.

Birds who are weaned but are still interested in formula as a foodstuff act much more casual about handfeeding. The usually don't beg, they are never frantic or desperate to get to the formula or be fed and you should not have issues with them nipping at your hands in an attempt to get food.

If you baby is otherwise healthy I would suggest that you try two feedings a day about 10 hours apart. Let the bird wake up and eat anything that he wants in his cage or with you. Then in an hour or two offer formula, if he is not interested or only wants a little then let him eat what he wants and then be done with it. Feed a variety of foods in the cage all day. If he starts to beg frantically for food then offer more formula, if not then just offer some right before bed. See how it goes.

If he is not interested in the morning feeding for a few days then you can cut it out and just do the evening feeding.

It is really just an individual thing. If you have more questions please feel free to tag me.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have an 8 months old baby at home who eats like a horse, and still wants to be handfed sometimes.

She just enjoys the ritual and the attention