• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ways to bond with an older bird?

JSyle

Meeting neighbors

So I wanted to do progress videos with our rescue bird Sophie, she is 21 years old and we’ve had her for about a month now. What are some ways to build a bond and build trust with older birds? I’ve been training step up and targeting so far but she is still leery of me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's the same as with any bird- age doesn't really matter. :) (All my birds are older birds.) It just takes time and patience. I spend a lot of time with them just sitting with them and talking to them. Singing to them. Hand feeding them treats. Sophie is very pretty. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you for taking in an older bird - they are my very favorites.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi Sophie! I love her little determined waddle! Monaco does that too. She's very similar to my girl in that her diet has needed work, she's almost the same age, it was a private adoption last year... Almost a whole year already!

It sounds like the way to your girl's heart is through her belly. The girls are pretty much fed in the wild, so it's a good tool. Meals together helped us get some diet changes rolling, and excellent interactions. Lots of chatting and hands off attention. Toys took a long, loooong, looooooooong, time in my opinion. I think the best bonding for us was late evening before bedtime, I let her hang out on my chest, shoulder, hand, and eventually she taught me her kiss game and we really connected during those sessions. She doesn't have the same interest now, so the memory is even more precious now.

I'm glad you're both here!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sophie is gorgeous! Loved the video. Keep pairing yourself with wonderful experiences for her so that she looks forward to your presence. Watch her body language and aim to keep it as relaxed as possible.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
This is a really neat introduction and she is as cute as a button. I don't know why you don't think she is comfortable with you, she acts in the video like you two go way back.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Lots of paticence and give Sophie a reason to want to come interact. Shes very cute!!